First Interstate BancSystem
|Traded as||NASDAQ: FIBK|
|Founded||Sheridan, Wyoming, USA (1968)|
|Headquarters||First Interstate Center
Billings, Montana, USA
|Number of locations||71|
Lyle R. Knight,
President and CEO
|Revenue||US $293.4 million (2006)|
|Operating income||US $187.46 million (2006)|
|Net income||US $75.6 million USD (2006)|
- For the Los Angeles-based bank that operated until 1996, see First Interstate Bancorp.
The bank originated in 1968 as a single bank in Sheridan, Wyoming, and incorporated in Montana in 1971. As of 2006, the bank had expanded to 49 branches with 130 ATMs in Montana and Wyoming.
In 1984, the company entered into a franchise agreement with First Interstate Bancorp, a multi-state bank holding company headquartered in Los Angeles, California, to use the First Interstate Bank name and logo. In 1996, when First Interstate Bancorp was split up, selling its Midwestern USA branches to St. Louis based Boatmen's Bancshares, which set the stage for it remaining west coast operations to be purchased by and merged into Wells Fargo. The Montana organization successfully negotiated to retain the well known First Interstate name and logo.
One of the banks that is now part of the system was the First National Bank of Casper which traces its roots to the C.H. King and Company Bankers founded in 1889 by Charles Henry King, grandfather of President Gerald Ford.
First Interstate Bank is a fifty-percent owner and primary tenant of the First Interstate Center, a 20-story building in Billings, Montana. Completed in 1985 the 272 foot (83 m) structure is the tallest building in the state of Montana.
 Notes and references
- "2006 Annual Report" (PDF). First Interstate BankSystem, Inc. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- "Form 10-K -- Annual Report". U.S. SEC. 2007-03-14. Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- "Who We Are". First Interstate BankSystem, Inc. Retrieved 2009-07-09.
- Remembering Gerald Ford - Casper Journal - April 27, 2007
- "First Interstate Center, Billings". Emporis GmbH. Retrieved 2007-08-10.