First Nashville Guitar Quartet
|First Nashville Guitar Quartet|
|Studio album by Chet Atkins, Liona Boyd, John Knowles and John Pell|
|Chet Atkins chronology|
The quartet played in the style of a chamber orchestra for guitars. Arrangements were worked out amongst the four players. Recording was done in both RCA's Studio A and at Atkins' own home studio.
The single "Love Song of Pepe Sanchez", released by the Quartet in 1979, did not chart.
Writing for Allmusic, critic Richard S. Ginell wrote of the album "Guitars may not be about to replace violins, violas, and cellos in the chamber music category, but this group proves that they can assume a respectable place in country-pop music, anyway."
- In 1997, First Nashville Guitar Quartet was reissued on CD along with Me and My Guitar in by One Way Records.
- In 2007, it was also released on CD along with The Night Atlanta Burned by Raven Records.
- "Carolina Shout" (Johnson, John Knowles, John Pell) – 2:37
- "Londonderry Air" (Traditional) – 3:00
- "Love Song of Pepe Sanchez" (John Pell) – 2:16
- "Skirts of Mexico" (Ponce, John Knowles) – 3:00
- "You Needed Me" (Goodrum) – 2:59
- "Bound for Boston" (Traditional) – 3:40
- "Washington Post March" (Traditional) – 2:18
- "Someday My Prince Will Come" (Frank Churchill, Larry Morey) – 2:55
- "Rings of Grass" (Shel Silverstein) – 3:17
- "Rodrigo Concerto" (Joaquín Rodrigo) – 3:34
- "Brandenburg" (Bach) – 2:59
- Chet Atkins – guitar
- Liona Boyd - guitar
- John Knowles - guitar
- John Pell - guitar
- McClelland, John & Bratic, Deyan. (2004) "Chet Atkins in Three Dimensions, Vol 2". Pacific, MO, Mel Bay Publications. ISBN 0-7866-5877-0
- Ruhlman, William. "First Nashville Guitar Quartet > Review". Allmusic. Retrieved July 2, 2011.
- AllMusic entry for reissue of Me and My Guitar and First Nashville Guitar Quartet.