First South Yorkshire
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
North East Derbyshire
East Riding of Yorkshire
|Service type||Bus services|
|Fleet||510 (March 2014)|
|Website||First South Yorkshire|
In 1989 the Mainline brand was introduced by South Yorkshire Transport. Buses operated with Sheffield Mainline names in a bright red and yellow livery, replacing the previous beige and red livery. It was followed by Doncaster Mainline in a silver grey and red livery relieved by a light yellow band and finally Rotherham Mainline, whose buses were painted blue and yellow.
In 1992 the locality was dropped when Mainline became the standard fleetname across South Yorkshire. A common red and yellow livery with silver and blue bands was introduced.
In 1998 FirstGroup purchased the remaining 80% shareholding and renamed the business First Mainline. Buses were repainted in a simplified red and yellow livery, reminiscent of the original 1989 Sheffield Mainline livery. In 2000 First Mainline was rebranded as First South Yorkshire and the corporate white, blue and pink livery introduced.
In 2013, First South Yorkshire began to paint buses into First's new Olympia corporate livery, which is an updated version of the former livery.
Service X78 is a limited stop service which goes from Sheffield Interchange via Meadowhall, Rotherham and arriving an hour and a half later in Doncaster Frenchgate Interchange. From Monday to Saturday it operates every ten minutes during the day and every fifteen minutes on Sundays and week day evenings.
Service 91, Airport Services, departs from Doncaster Frenchgate Interchange and arrives approximately twenty-eight minutes later at Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport. This bus has luggage racks for passengers located at the front of the bus.
First also run Peak District services; 272, from Sheffield, across the South Yorkshire boundary and into Derbyshire in the Peak District. Local or South Yorkshire FirstDay/Week/Month tickets are only valid up to the Sheffield boundary. Special day tickets must be purchased on board to travel on First South Yorkshire buses in Derbyshire.
First branded some services as Overground on bus services with high frequency during the daytime. Based on the London Underground network where each frequent service is given a recognisable colour, each Overground service is, in addition to its running number, colour-coded.
This system originally appeared on the exterior of buses, but this was later removed as buses were upgraded. Now, while the system is still in use on First's official website, it is not used to identify buses on its original scale.
As of 15 March 2014 the fleet consisted of 510 vehicles, made up of the following:
- 96x Volvo B9TL Wright Eclipse Gemini
- 96x Volvo B10BLE Wright Renown (including 2x driver training vehicles)
- 77x Volvo B7L Wright Eclipse
- 66x Volvo B7TL Alexander ALX400
- 41x Wright Streetlite Max
- 35x Volvo B7RLE Wright Eclipse Urban
- 31x Dennis Trident 2 Plaxton President
- 26x Volvo B7TL Plaxton President
- 15x Volvo B7TL Wright Eclipse Gemini
- 10x Optare Solo M850
- 6x Volvo B6BLE Wright Crusader
- 4x Dennis Dart SLF Plaxton Pointer 2
- 3x Alexander Dennis Enviro200 Dart
- 3x Volvo B10M Alexander PS (all driver training vehicles)
- 1x Leyland PD3 (ancillary vehicle)
First South Yorkshire vehicles operate from three depots. These are Olive Grove in Sheffield, Midland Road in Rotherham, and Leger Way in Doncaster. Midland Road depot also acts as the headquarters of First South Yorkshire.
- Companies House extract company no 2332529 First South Yorkshire Limited formerly Mainline Group Limited formerly The Hallam Bus Company Limited
- South Yorkshire Transport Authority Sells Off Bus Company to Staff Local Government Chronicle 18 November 1993
- FirstGroup Fleetlist Steve White
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to First South Yorkshire.|
- Company website
- Doncaster Mainline Flickr gallery
- Rotherham Mainline Flickr gallery
- Sheffield Mainline Flick gallery