First You Get the Sugar
|First You Get the Sugar|
|Origin||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Genres||Alternative rock, indie rock, pop rock, rock|
|Years active||Since 2007|
First You Get the Sugar is a Canadian four-piece rock band based in Montreal, Quebec, consisting of Adam Kagan (guitar and vocals), Mick Mendelsohn (bass and vocals), Dan Moscovitch (drums) and Alex Silver (guitar and vocals).
The band's musical style has been described as a mix of "post-punk, new wave, classic rock, 1960s pop and 1970s soul/funk." In January 2012, The Gazette's 2012 Montreal Music Preview described them as "danceable, giddily hooky...[and] going places."
The band began in 2007 as a combination of Kagan's and Mendelsohn's former bands. The name was chosen as a reference to a quotation from the "Lisa's Rival" episode of the American animated sitcom television series The Simpsons, in which the quotation itself is a homage to the American crime film Scarface (1983).
They recorded their self-produced, self-titled debut album independently in 2009 to 2010 in Montreal, and had the album mastered at Masterdisk in New York City, New York. The album was released in May 2011.
In December 2011, the band was selected to record at Converse's Rubber Tracks recording studio in Brooklyn, New York, where they recorded three songs in a 16-hour recording and mixing session with Grammy Award-winning engineer Geoff Sanoff. While at the studio, the band was interviewed by CNN and MTV. The first track, "Pearson", was released in January 2012.
The band was interviewed on CBC Radio[when?] and given a feature article in The Gazette in January 2012, which described the track as "pretty and propulsive," and remarked that "if McCartney suddenly finds he's missing a song, he'd be wise to look here."
They debuted the second song from the Rubber Tracks sessions, "Hannah", on Montreal radio station CHOM-FM (97.7) on March 29, 2012, and released the song later that week to more radio play on the station.
- Adam Kagan
- Mick Mendelsohn
- Dan Moscovitch
- Alex Silver
- First You Get the Sugar (self-released, 2011)
- List of alternative rock bands
- List of indie rock musicians
- List of Montreal music groups
- Music of Quebec
- [dead link] "First You Get the Sugar: The Name Might Confuse, But the Music Doesn't". The Gazette. January 23, 2012.
- [dead link] "Arcade Fire and Beyond: Montreal Bands Have Big Plans in 2012". The Gazette. January 18, 2012.
- Margot (March 24, 2011). "Call & Response: First You Get The Sugar". Midnight Poutine. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Staff (July 2, 2011). "Buttery Canadian Pop". Converse. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Staff (undated). "Geoff Sanoff". Just Managing: Producer Management. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Staff (undated). "Pearson". First You Get the Sugar. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Jaffer, Dave (March 22, 2012). "First You Get the Sugar Play 'Tight Tunes' at CMW Music Festival". Spinner (Canadian edition). Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Terry (March 29, 2012). "First You Get the Sugar Dropped by This Morning". Blog of Morning Rocks (show on CHOM-FM). Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Staff (undated). "Hannah". First You Get the Sugar. Retrieved February 2013.