Fishin' in the Dark
|"Fishin' in the Dark"|
|Single by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band|
|from the album Hold On|
|B-side||"Keepin' the Road Hot"|
|Genre||Country, country blues|
|Writer(s)||Wendy Waldman and Jim Photoglo|
|The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band singles chronology|
"Fishin' in the Dark" is a song written by Wendy Waldman and Jim Photoglo and recorded by American country music group The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. It was released in June 1987 as the second single from their album Hold On. It reached number-one on the U.S. and Canadian country charts. It was the band's third number-one single on the U.S. country music charts and the second in Canada.
The premise of the song is a couple contemplating a late night fishing expedition. Specifically, the adventurers plan to make their way to a river and chart constellations in the full moon light. In the song, the tentative date for this excursion is set in the late spring to early summer.
The music video was directed by Bill Young and features the band playing in front of a live audience.
- Canadian country band Emerson Drive recorded their version of the song on their 2004 album What If? A live version recorded in Dallas, Texas during 2004 was released as a digital single in 2005.
- Garth Brooks recorded his version of the song for his 2005 album The Lost Sessions.
- Irish Country singer Nathan Carter released his version of the song on his 2011 album Time Of My Life.
- The Ozark Mountain Daredevils cover the song on a rare Album (CD) named Heart of the Country released in 1987
- Garth Brooks for the 2013 "Country Classics" album in the "Blame It All on My Roots: Five Decades of Influences" compilation.
Chart and certification
"The Way We Make a Broken Heart"
by Rosanne Cash
|Billboard Hot Country Singles
October 17, 1987
"Shine, Shine, Shine"
by Eddy Raven
|RPM Country Tracks
October 17, 1987
by Dwight Yoakam
- "American single certifications – Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – Fishin&27 in the Dark". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved May 8, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Matt Bjorke (April 16, 2014). "Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles - April 16, 2014: Post ACM Awards Sales Bumps: Gold Singles For Thomas Rhett, Dan + Shay and Keith Urban; Platinum for FGL & Luke Bryan!". Roughstock.