Five Billion Years of Solitude
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find links tool for suggestions. (December 2013)|
|Publisher||Current, a member of Penguin Group|
Five Billion Years of Solitude: The Search for Life Among the Stars is a non-fiction work by science author Lee Billings.
In this book, Billings explores the scientists and science behind the ever-expanding universe of exoplanets. Since the first detection of a planet orbiting another Sun-like star in 1995, scientists have discovered an increasing number of worlds beyond our solar system through detections by telescopes and spacecraft. Billings reveals the scientists behind these discoveries and their thoughts on not only exoplanets, but also their triumphs and frustrations in their quest to solve one of the greatest mysteries of humankind: Are we alone? Billings includes interviews with Frank Drake, Geoffrey Marcy, Greg Laughlin, James Kasting, Matt Mountain, Wesley Traub, Sara Seager, and many other prominent researchers.
The book has 10 chapters:
- Looking for Longevity
- Drake's Orchids
- A Fractured Empire
- The Worth of a World
- After the Gold Rush
- The Big Picture
- Out of Equilibrium
- Aberrations of the Light
- The Order of the Null
- Into the Barren Lands
- Overbye, Dennis (8 November 2013). "Lonely Planet". Sunday Book Review (The New York Times). Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Brown, Mike (15 November 2013). "Five Billion Years of Solitude: The Search for Life Among the Stars by Lee Billings". WP Opinion (The Washington Post). Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Henderson, Caspar (21 November 2013). "Five Billion Years of Solitude: The Search for Life Among the Stars – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Teitel, Amy Shira (14 October 2013). "Lee Billings' Five Billion Years of Solitude (Review)". Discovery News Book Reviews. Discovery News. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Kuchner, Marc (12 December 2014). "Five Billion Years of Solitude: The Search for Life Among the Stars". Physics Today Volume 67, Issue 12, December 2014. AIP Publishing. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "The exoplanet next door". Nature. 2012.
|This article about an astronomy-related book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|