Flat Duo Jets
|Flat Duo Jets|
Dexter Romweber and Crow
|Origin||Carrboro, North Carolina, USA|
|Genres||Rockabilly, punk blues, garage rock|
|Past members||Dexter Romweber
Chris "Crow" Smith
Flat Duo Jets was a Psychobilly band from Chapel Hill, North Carolina and Athens, Georgia. They were a major influence on several bands of the 1990s and 2000s, including The White Stripes. In interviews, Jack White (the White Stripes' lead singer and guitarist) has often acknowledged Dexter Romweber's influence. Their first album, Flat Duo Jets, was recorded direct to two tracks in a garage in the late 1980s but not released until early 1990. Also in early 1990 the band opened for The Cramps on a national tour. Jim Dickinson produced their second LP, Go Go Harlem Baby.  Their ninth and last studio album, Lucky Eye, was their first major label release (Outpost Records), and was produced by Scott Litt, best known as a producer of R.E.M..
Singer/guitarist Dexter Romweber has pursued a solo career since the 1999 breakup of the Flat Duo Jets and has toured with Cat Power, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Neko Case and others. His older sister, Sara Romweber (who is a founding member of Snatches of Pink), plays drums with her brother as the Dexter Romweber Duo.
Flat Duo Jets' drummer Crow Smith resurfaced in 2005 with a debut solo album of his own. Bassist Tone Mayer played with Dex since 1979 and helped form an earlier band the Kamikazees in 1983. Tone departed the Duo Jets circa 1990 to join The Chicken Wire Gang.
Nearly ten years after the band's demise a live soundtrack to "Two Headed Cow", a documentary film about Dexter and the Flat Duo Jets, was released in 2008.
- Dexter Romweber, Guitar
- Chris "Crow" Smith, Drums
- Griz "Tone" Mayer, Bass (1988–1990)
- In Stereo (1985, Dolphin Records)
- Flat Duo Jets (1990, Dog Gone Records)
- Go Go Harlem Baby (1991, Sky Records)
- Safari (1993, Norton Records)
- White Trees (1993, Sky Records)
- I'll Have A Merry Christmas Without You (1994, Norton Records)
- Introducing the Flat Duo Jets (1995, Norton Records)
- Dexmas 7"(1996, Permanent Records)
- Jet Set 7" (1996, Norton Records)
- Red Tango (1996, Norton Records)
- Wild Blue Yonder (1998, Norton Records)
- Lucky Eye (1998, Outpost Records)
- Two Headed Cow (2008, Chicken Ranch Records)
Television and film appearances 
- The Cutting Edge (1985, MTV)
- Athens, GA: Inside Out (1986)
- 120 Minutes (1990, MTV)
- Late Night with David Letterman (1990)
- Two Headed Cow (2006)
- It Might Get Loud (2009)
- Wild, Wild Lover (1990)
- Radioactive Man (1993)
- Sullivan, Denise (2004). The White Stripes: Sweethearts of the Blues. Hal Leonard Corporation. pp. 53–54. ISBN 0-87930-805-2.
- Trucks, Rob (April 28, 2004), "White Blood Sells - The Fiery Half of the Flat Duo Jets , Dexter Romweber Broke in the Next Generation of Garage-Rocking Duos", City Paper (Baltimore, MD)
- Menconi, David (March 15, 1991), "One Dynamic Duo", The News & Observer (Raleigh, NC): Weekend section W3