Flathead County, Montana
|Flathead County, Montana|
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||5,256 sq mi (13,613 km2)|
|• Land||5,068 sq mi (13,126 km2)|
|• Water||158 sq mi (409 km2), 3.01%|
|• Density||15/sq mi (5.64/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Flathead County is a county located in the U.S. state of Montana. As of the 2010 census, the population was 90,928. Its county seat is Kalispell. The numerical designation for Flathead County (used in the issuance of license plates) is 7. It is south from the Canadian border of British Columbia.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 5,256 square miles (13,613.0 km2), of which 5,098 square miles (13,203.8 km2) is land and 158 square miles (409.2 km2) (3.01%) is water. The western part of Glacier National Park is located in the county.
- Regional District of East Kootenay, British Columbia - north
- Glacier County - east
- Pondera County - east
- Teton County - east
- Lewis and Clark County - southeast
- Powell County - southeast
- Missoula County - southeast
- Lake County - south
- Sanders County - southwest
- Lincoln County - west
||Regional District of East Kootenay, British Columbia, Canada||Glacier County|
|Lincoln County||Pondera County
|Sanders County||Lake County||Lewis and Clark County
Flathead County is one of the few counties in the United States to border as many as ten counties or county-equivalents. Neighboring Missoula County borders nine counties.
National protected areas
- Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail (part)
- Flathead National Forest (part)
- Glacier National Park (part)
- Kootenai National Forest (part)
- Lolo National Forest (part)
- Lost Trail National Wildlife Refuge
As of the census of 2000, there were 74,471 people, 29,588 households, and 20,415 families residing in the county. The population density was 15 people per square mile (6/km²). There were 34,773 housing units at an average density of 7 per square mile (3/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.26% White, 0.15% Black or African American, 1.15% Native American, 0.46% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.41% from other races, and 1.50% from two or more races. 1.42% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 21.7% were of German, 11.3% Irish, 11.0% Norwegian, 10.3% English and 9.1% United States or American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 29,588 households out of which 32.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.90% were married couples living together, 8.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.00% were non-families. 25.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.90% under the age of 18, 7.40% from 18 to 24, 27.40% from 25 to 44, 26.40% from 45 to 64, and 13.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 98.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $34,466, and the median income for a family was $40,702. Males had a median income of $31,908 versus $20,619 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,112. About 9.40% of families and 13.00% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.70% of those under age 18 and 8.60% of those age 65 or over.
- Dee L. Brown - member of the Montana House of Representatives
- Maury Povich - the talk show host known for his TV show Maury
- Joe Bereta - member of the sketch comedy duo Barats and Bereta based in Spokane, Washington. Currently co-hosts SourceFed on YouTube.
- Dorothy M. Johnson - Writer of Westerns. Three of her novels, The Hanging Tree, A Man Called Horse, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, were made into motion pictures. Her family moved to Whitefish when she was a girl, and she lived there for many years.
- List of cemeteries in Flathead County, Montana
- List of lakes in Flathead County, Montana (A-L)
- List of lakes in Flathead County, Montana (M-Z)
- List of mountains in Flathead County, Montana (A-L)
- List of mountains in Flathead County, Montana (M-Z)
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Flathead County, Montana
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.