FlexWiki was a wiki engine written primarily by David Ornstein. The code was first released in September 2004. Development ceased sometime in 2009.
The engine is open source, licensed under IBM's Common Public License. FlexWiki was the third Microsoft project to be distributed via SourceForge.net, after Windows Installer XML (WiX) and Windows Template Library (WTL).
FlexWiki uses .NET technology and has an integrated scripting language called WikiTalk. WikiTalk is based on the Smalltalk programming language (hence its name). It is a simple object oriented language that allows users to add dynamic behaviors to their topics.
While most wiki software systems use a DBMS to store their content, FlexWiki started out with a textual storage system. Content was stored in text files, reducing some of the administrative overhead of maintaining a wiki site. With the release of v1.8.01653, it became possible to store FlexWiki's content in an SQL Server database, but the original textual storage system is still available and is the default storage type. It is generally not necessary to scale FlexWiki due to the advanced caching, but scaling is possible using SQL Server, providing that caching is turned off.
One of the primary developers of FlexWiki, Craig Andera, left the project in 2008. Sometime in early 2009, all development stopped, and the main website for the software, at flexwiki.com, went offline.
The internal Microsoft discussion forum Channel 9 used FlexWiki for a period of time, but no longer does.
See also 
- Gunderloy, Mike (September 28, 2004), "Vandals at the wiki", Application Development Trends, retrieved April 5, 2012
- "FlexWiki: Microsofts Third Open Software Project", eWeek, September 28, 2004, retrieved April 5, 2012
- "Microsoft Makes Its Third Contribution To Open-Source Site", InformationWeek, September 28, 2004, retrieved April 5, 2012
- Evers, Joris (September 28, 2004), "Microsoft open sources Web authoring application", InfoWorld, retrieved April 5, 2012
- Kerner, Sean Michael (September 28, 2004), "FlexWiki Open Source Project Has Microsoft Talking", InternetNews, retrieved April 5, 2012
- Fried, Ina (September 28, 2004), "Microsoft opens up more code", ZDNet, retrieved April 5, 2012
- Lee, Thomas (October 26, 2006), "A working wiki", PC Pro, retrieved April 5, 2012
External links