Flitwick railway station
|View across Flitwick station towards the main building on the Down side, 13 January 2007|
|Local authority||Central Bedfordshire|
|Managed by||First Capital Connect|
|Number of platforms||4|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Flitwick from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Flitwick railway station is in the centre of Flitwick, in Bedfordshire, England. The station is situated on the Midland Main Line. The station is managed by First Capital Connect, who operate all trains serving it, and is served by Thameslink services between Bedford and Brighton. As well as Flitwick itself, the station also serves the adjoining town of Ampthill, which no longer has its own station.
There were originally platforms for two lines. This remained the case when the line was quadrupled. The up goods opened in 1893 and extended to Harlington in 1894; and the down goods opened in 1895. It was not until 1960 that British Railways added extra platforms to cater for extended stopping services between Bedford and London.
The typical off-peak service from this station is:
- 4 trains per hour to Bedford;
- 4 trains per hour to Brighton via Luton, Luton Airport Parkway, Harpenden, St Albans, London and Gatwick Airport.
- East Midlands Trains InterCity services from Leeds, Sheffield and Leicester run through at high speed, but do not stop. Interchange with InterCity services can be made at Luton and Bedford.
Flitwick station has the following facilities:
- 2 waiting rooms
- car park with 261 spaces
There are two entrances to the station: one into the ticket office from Steppingley Road and the other directly onto the footbridge from Dunstable Road.
- Radford, B., (1983) Midland Line Memories: a Pictorial History of the Midland Railway Main Line Between London (St Pancras) & Derby London: Bloomsbury Books
- Preston Hendry, R., Powell Hendry, R., (1982) An historical survey of selected LMS stations : layouts and illustrations. Vol. 1 Oxford Publishing
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Flitwick railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|First Capital Connect|
|First Capital Connect
Line open, station closed
Line and station open