Flo (Progressive Insurance)
Flo, as portrayed by actress Stephanie Courtney
|Created by||Arnold Worldwide|
|Portrayed by||Stephanie Courtney|
|Aliases||The Progressive Girl|
Flo is a fictional character appearing in more than 50 commercials for Progressive Insurance, beginning in 2008. Portrayed by actress and comedienne, Stephanie Courtney, the character has developed a fan base on social networks and has become an iconic advertising figure.
Broadcast history 
"Flo," an upbeat store employee for Progressive Insurance, was created by the Boston-based agency Arnold Worldwide, specifically copywriter John Park and art director Steve Reepmeyer. She is played by actress and comedienne, Stephanie Courtney, and has a fan base on social networks.
The character debuted in 2008 through television commercials and has since appeared in radio and print advertisements and web banners. As of November 2010, she had appeared in 53 commercials.[dated info]
Flo is a cashier and is recognizable by her extremely enthusiastic, upbeat persona, heavy makeup, and retro hairstyle. According to Courtney, it takes one hour for Flo's hair to be prepared, and another hour for her makeup to be applied. A December 15, 2008 article in Advertising Age described Flo as "a weirdly sincere, post-modern Josephine the Plumber who just really wants to help. She has: the brand is flourishing."
In October 2009, the Boston Herald referred to Flo as "the commercial break's new sweetheart" and said Courtney was "attaining TV ad icon status". The same article also reported that she was the subject of a popular Halloween costume. At that time, a Facebook page called "Flo, The Progressive Girl" had garnered a little over one million fans. In August 2012, the Facebook page had more than 4.4M fans. Multiple websites were dedicated to her, and she was popular on Twitter and various Internet forums.
- Staff (2011). "Progressive". Arnold Worldwide. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- "Check Out". Brickyard VFX. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- Garcia, Chris (October 20, 2008). "The Strange Allure of the Progressive Insurance Girl". Austin American-Statesman. ISSN 1553-8451. Retrieved June 2, 201.
- Inman, David (December 14, 2008). "TV Q&A with David Inman". Boston Herald. ISSN 0738-5854. Retrieved June 2, 201.
- Sergey (September 2, 2009). "Who is This Girl in Progressive Insurance TV Commercials?". Progressive Advertiser.[dead link]
- Admin (October 31, 2011). "Flo Progressive Insurance 'Name Your Price' 300×250 w/ Flo". Online Advertising Archive. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- Elliott, Stuart (November 30, 2010). "A Nomadic Insurance Pitchman, Luring New Consumers". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved June 2, 201.
- Staff (2012). "Home". Australia: Progressive Direct Insurance Company. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- Parsley, Aaron (September 2, 2009). "5 Things to Know About TV's Progressive Insurance Lady". People. ISSN 0093-7673. Retrieved June 2, 201.
- Garfield, Bob (December 15, 2008). "The Bobby Awards". Advertising Age. Retrieved June 2, 201.
- Falcone, Lauren Beckham (October 7, 2009). "Insurance pitchgirl a surprise TV hit". Boston Herald. ISSN 0738-5854. Retrieved June 2, 201.
- Coker, Jason (October 4, 2010). "ModNation Monday: Free Mod, 'Family Guy' Spotlight Next Week!". PlayStation.Blog (Sony Computer Entertainment America). Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- Russell, Ramone (November 15, 2010). "ModNation Monday: Carnival Parts Pack and 'Free' Progressive Kart next week!". PlayStation.Blog (Sony Computer Entertainment America). Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- "Progressive Girl Has Strange Pull On WSB-TV Channel 2 Viewers". Atlanta, Georgia: WSB-TV. December 2, 2008. Retrieved June 2, 2012.