|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2011)|
Flook at the 2006 Wickham Festival. Left to right: Sarah Allen, Ed Boyd, John Joe Kelly, Brian Finnegan
Upstairs in a tent
John Joe Kelly
|Past members||Becky Morris
Flook is an Anglo-Irish band playing traditional-style instrumental music, much of it penned by the band themselves. Their music is typified by extremely fast, sometimes percussive, flute and whistle atop complex guitar and bodhrán rhythms. Flook is made up of Brian Finnegan, Sarah Allen, Ed Boyd and John Joe Kelly
The band was formed in 1995, originally by Becky Morris, with three flute-playing friends Sarah Allen, Brian Finnegan and Michael McGoldrick, (who left in 1997 to join Capercaillie). The band was briefly known as Three Nations Flutes.
Flook's 10th anniversary tour for Folkworks, included a concert at the Purcell Room (on 7 November 2005) as part of a week of "Folk in the Fall" on London's South Bank and another at the new Sage Gateshead concert hall on the south bank of the River Tyne on 10 November 2005. Their third studio album, Haven, was released in October 2005.
At the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards in 2006, Flook were awarded the award for Best Group. They also gave a short performance during the ceremony.
In December 2008 the band sent a Christmas message saying they were disbanding. "We wanted to wish you a very Happy Christmas and also to share some news with you," said a band press release. "After 13-plus years, hundreds of gigs, millions of miles traveled together and countless brilliant times, we've decided to call it a day. It might be forever or a prolonged pause, who knows, but we're all still great friends and will always remain so. This might sound like a cliché but it is deeply truthful."
The group reformed (briefly) for an appearance on the BBC Northern Ireland programme, Blas Ceoil. Flook are now back together and are currently touring.
- Sarah Allen plays flute, alto flute and accordion. She has also been a member of the Barely Works, Bigjig and The Happy End Big Band.
- Brian Finnegan plays wooden flutes and tin whistles. He has been a member of Upstairs in a Tent (originally Gan Ainm), Maalstroom and Aquarium.
- Ed Boyd plays guitars and bouzouki. He is a former member of Red Ciel.
- John Joe Kelly plays bodhrán and mandolin. He has also worked with Altan and Paul Brady and is a session musician.
- Damien O'Kane, who joined the band in 2008, plays banjo and tenor guitar as well as singing.
- Michael McGoldrick, plays wooden flutes and tin whistles, left Flook in 1997 to join Capercaillie.
- Flook! Live! (1996) Small CD 9405
- Flatfish (1999) Flatfish Records 002CD
- Rubai (2002) Flatfish Records 004CD
- Haven (2005) Flatfish Records 005CD
- Contributing artist