Flora of the Santa Monica Mountains
- the California coastal sage and chaparral, with coastal sage scrub along the coast.
- the California montane chaparral and woodlands, with chaparral and California oak woodlands as the mountains rise and recede from the coast and descend into the interior valleys.
The Santa Monica Mountains are covered by hundreds of local plant species: some are endemic or very rare, some are beautiful California native plants in situ, and some also are familiar as horticultural ornamental and native garden plants. Each season has different plants predominating the visual experience.
Native and non-native Flora
- Acer macrophyllum - (Bigleaf Maple)
- Alnus rhombifolia - (White Alder)
- Juglans californica - (California Black Walnut)
- Quercus agrifolia - (Coast Live Oak)
- Quercus chrysolepis - (Canyon Live Oak)
- Pinus sabiniana - (Digger Pine, Gray Pine)
- Platanus racemosa - (California Sycamore)
- Umbellularia Californica - (California Bay)
- Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area - 'in-situ' parks and preserves
- Index: Natural history of the Santa Monica Mountains
- California Native Plant Society
- Jepson Manual plant database
- Additional References: see the following links and books.
- Flora of the Santa Monica Mountains - Alphabetical Checklist; UCLA Botanical Garden website lists.
- Flora of the Santa Monica Mountains - by Family: page 1
- Flora of the Santa Monica Mountains - by Family: page 2
- Regional Flora of Santa Monica Mountains
- Santa Monica Mountains Flora: A Check List
- Flora of Malibu Creek State Park
- Flora of Topanga State Park
- Flora of Point Mugu State Park
- Flora of Charmlee Regional Park
- Flora of Mishe Mokwa Trail Area
- "Flora of the Santa Monica Mountains, California"; publication: Southern California Botanists; Peter H Raven.
- "Flora of the Santa Monica Mountains, California", Southern California Botanists; Peter H Raven.
- "Wildflowers of the Santa Monica Mountains", by Milt McAuley.
- "Flowering Plants: The Santa Monica Mountains, Coastal and Chaparral Regions of Southern California", by Nancy Dale.
- "Roadside Plants of Southern California", by Thomas J. Belzer.
- "California Native Plants for the Garden", by Carol Bornstein, David Fross, and Bart O'Brien; Cachuma Press, Los Olivos CA, 2005; ISBN 0-9628505-8-6 & ISBN 0-9628505-9-4.
- "The Jepson Manual," James C Hickman, UC Press, ISBN 0-520-08255-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nature of the Santa Monica Mountains.|