Floral Park Memorial High School
|Floral Park Memorial High School|
|210 Locust Street
Floral Park, NY, 11001
|Type||Public high school|
|Faculty||89.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||1,447 (as of 2005–06)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.3|
Floral Park Memorial High School (FPMHS) is a coeducational, public high school in Floral Park, New York, United States. It is one of five schools in the Sewanhaka Central High School District. The high school enrolls students in grades 7 through 12.
As of the 2005–06 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,447 students and 89.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student-teacher ratio of 16.3. The school is celebrating 50 years of operation in the 2007–2008 school year.
Awards and recognition
During the 1994–96 school years, Floral Park Memorial High School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive. The school also received a U.S. News silver medal for being one of the best public high schools in the United States.
The school currently has junior varsity and varsity boys' and girls' basketball, boys' baseball, boys' and girls' track, girls' softball, boys' and girls' volleyball, boys' and girls' soccer, boys' and girls' lacrosse, boys' football, girls field hockey boys' riflery, girls' cheerleading, and kickline.
The Varsity Boys Basketball team are the 2004-2005 Nassau County Class "A" Champions.
The Varsity Girls' Basketball Team are the 2006–2007 and 2007–2008 Nassau County Class "A" Champions. They are the Long Island Champions in 2007–2008 and in 2008–2009.
The Varsity Kickline Team, the Floral Park Florettes, are the 2010 Long Island Champions, winning the championship on March 14, 2010 at Commack Middle School.
In 2007, students at Floral Park Memorial High School broke the Guinness Book of World Records previous record for most hugs in one hour by a single person. The previous record was 640 hugs in one hour and the new record is now 844 people, with the record being broken in a mere 22 minutes. The event was a fundraiser for a scholarship in the honor of two students who lost their lives at the end of the 2005–2006 school year.
- Floral Park Memorial High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed May 29, 2008.
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982–1983 through 1999–2002 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2006.
- CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department, Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
- Viers Mill School Wins Blue Ribbon; School Scored High on Statewide Test; The Washington Post. September 29, 2005 "For their accomplishments, all three schools this month earned the status of Blue Ribbon School, the highest honor the U.S. Education Department can bestow upon a school."
- The Nassau County List U.S. News Best Public High Schools Nationwide-New York-Nassau; US News, 2008 "Floral Park Memorial High School has received a silver medal in being one of the best public high schools in the country, according to U.S. News"
- The Entire Long Island Finals Newsday High School Sports; Newsday, March 2, 2008 "Floral Park is in the Long Island Finals."
- Apar, R. (2007) "Spreading love in memory of the beloved", The Shield. June 2007. p 3. Retrieved December 23, 2007.