|City of Florence, Colorado|
Location in Fremont County and the state of Colorado
|Incorporated||September 13, 1887|
|• Type||Statutory City|
|• Total||4.1 sq mi (10.5 km2)|
|• Land||4.1 sq mi (10.5 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||5,180 ft (1,579 m)|
|• Density||891/sq mi (347.9/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|ZIP codes||81226 & 81290|
|GNIS feature ID||0204775|
|Website||City of Florence Colorado|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.1 square miles (11 km2). 4.1 square miles (11 km2) of it is land and 0.25% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,653 people, 1,488 households, and 973 families residing in the city. The population density was 897.7 per square mile (346.5/km²). There were 1,622 housing units at an average density of 398.6 per square mile (153.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 92.77% White, 0.30% African American, 1.23% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 2.63% from other races, and 2.76% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.66% of the population.
There were 1,488 households out of which 31.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.4% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.6% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 27.9% from 25 to 44, 21.2% from 45 to 64, and 16.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 92.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $29,628, and the median income for a family was $39,276. Males had a median income of $33,750 versus $22,042 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,969. About 12.5% of families and 17.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.0% of those under age 18 and 11.3% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
Since 2006, the Florence Police Department has received more than US$3.6 million of tactical military equipment from the US Department of Defense (DoD) including a "mine resistant vehicle" and a "combat assault tactical wheeled vehicle". Prior to 2014, when the information was made public by the DoD in response to public scrutiny over widespread police militarization in the USA, the program details were closely guarded and little information had been released during the previous 20 years.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- United States Penitentiary, Administrative Maximum Facility (ADX)
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Community History". Florence Colorado. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Profile for Florence, Colorado, CO". ePodunk. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Florence, Colorado". City-Data.com. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- 'Former Wyoming Sec. of State Thyra Thomson Dies,' Billings Gazette (Wyoming), Joan Barron, June 12, 2013
- "USP Florence ADMAX Contact Information." Federal Bureau of Prisons. Retrieved on December 30, 2009.
- "Zoning Map." (Archive) City of Florence, Colorado. Retrieved on December 30, 2009.
- Musgrave, Shawn; Meagher, Tom; Vong, Iva r; Dance, Gabriel (2014-12-05). "The Pentagon Finally Details its Weapons-for-Cops Giveaway". MuckRock News. Retrieved 2014-12-07.
- City of Florence website
- Royal Gorge Region - Official Visitors Guide to the Royal Gorge Region.
- Florence Chamber of Commerce
- John C Fremont Public Library