Floriade is an international exhibition of flowers and gardening, held every 10 years in the Netherlands.
All have been World Horticultural Expo and listed as an A1 Horticultural Expo A1 category exhibitions by the International Association of Horticultural Producers and hence recognised by the Bureau of International Expositions.
The location varies and is awarded to a city after a bidding phase with earlier and planned exhibitions at:
- 1960 - Rotterdam (Het Park)
- 1972 - Amsterdam (Amstelpark)
- 1982 - Amsterdam (Gaasperplas)
- 1992 - Zoetermeer (Rokkeveen-West)
- 2002 - Haarlemmermeer (Haarlemmermeerse Bos/De Groene Weelde)
- 2012 - Venlo
- 2022 - Almere
The 1992 Floriade was held in Zoetermeer and ran from 9 April to 10 October. The event was held on converted pasture outside the newtown of Zoetermeer, covered 168 acres and had participants from more than 20 countries.
The 2002 Floriade was held in Haarlemmermeer with a theme of Contribution of Horticulture in the quality of life in the 21st century. It ran from 5 April to 20 October, covered 65 ha and had 30 participating counrites
2012 Venlo Floriade
||This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: it contains erroneous sentences and dated info. (September 2013)|
For the 2012 Floriade the cities of Enschede, Rotterdam and Tilburg indicated an The Dutch Horticultural Association (NTR) but only the Region of Venlo submitted a bidbook.
This was the first located in the South-Eastern quarter of the country, all previous having been held on drained land to the West.
Floriade 2012 features five themed areas on a site of 66 hectares.
- Green Engine
- Relax & Heal
- Education & Innovation
- World Show Stage
It had a cable car of 1,100 meters.
Since 2008, there was an annual preview event / open day: The event, named "Floriade Invites" hosted 22,000 visitors on June 20, 2010.
John Boon was the landscape architect for the 2012 project
The Floriade site is located on the junction of the A67 and A73 motorway across from Fresh Park Venlo
Venlo GreenPark was intended to be the legacy of Floriade 2012 with the site to be partially redeveloped into a green business park.
- Theokas, Andrew (2005). Grounds for Review: The Garden Festival in Urban Planning and Design. Liverpool University Press. ISBN 978-0-85323-539-2.
- "AIPH". AIPH. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Floriade Almere 2022" (in Dutch). Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "History - Euromast". Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Raver, Anne (3 May 1992). "At Floriade, Tulips Are Just a Start". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "2002 Haarlemmermeer - Netherlands". Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Regio Venlo Floriade 2012 Bidbook
- "Floriade 2012 - World Horticultural Expo - Venlo, the Netherlands & Floriade 2012]". Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- Gary Pini (January 8, 2010). "Seven Wonders Of My World". Paper magazine. Retrieved 2011-04-05.
- Cable Car
- "Gerbera Nieuws op GerberaNet - Gerbera Net" (in Dutch). Gerberanet.nl. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Floriade 2022 proposal for Almere | MVRDV | Rethinking The Future | Rethinking The Future". Retrieved 28 November 2022. Check date values in:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Floriade.|