Thauvin with Marseille in a Champions League match against Arsenal
|Full name||Florian Thauvin|
|Date of birth||26 January 1993|
|Place of birth||Orléans, France|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2013||→ Bastia (loan)||16||(7)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 8 May 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Florian Thauvin (born 26 January 1993) is a French professional footballer who plays for Olympique de Marseille in Ligue 1. He plays as an Winger and is a France youth international having earned caps up to under-21 level. Noted columnist Andy Brassell describes him as a wide player who is a "left-footer with fine acceleration and jaw-dropping close control."
Thauvin previously played for Grenoble and made his professional debut on 11 March 2011 in a 1–1 league draw with Vannes. Following the liquidation of Grenoble after the season, which saw the club relegated to the Championnat de France amateur 2, Thauvin departed the club and signed his first professional contract with Corsican side Bastia. On 28 October 2012, he scored his first goal for Bastia in a 3–1 victory over Bordeaux.
On 29 January 2013, Thauvin signed a four-and-a-half-year deal with Ligue 1 club Lille. The transfer fee was reported to be around €3.5 million. Thauvin was subsequently sent back to Bastia on a six-month loan deal, keeping him at the top-flight Corsican club until the end of the 2012–13 season.
On 2 September 2013, after weeks of drawn-out negotiations, Thauvin signed a five-year deal with Olympique de Marseille. The 20-year-old had been absent from training due to disputes over an improved contract, and forced a move to the Stade Velodrome, eventually signing for €15 million including bonuses.
Thauvin was a member of the French squad which won the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey. He scored a penalty in the 4–0 win over Uzbekistan in the quarter-finals and both French goals in a 2–1 victory against Ghana in the semi-finals.
In January 2014, he was named by The Observer as one of the ten most promising young players in Europe. Toulouse manager Alain Casanova has called Thauvin "a player in the image of Franck Ribéry … someone who is able to disrupt any opponent, someone very dangerous when he picks up speed. Very dangerous indeed."
- Appearances in the UEFA Champions League.
- Brassell, Andy (20 June 2013). "Under-20 stars ready to dazzle". ESPN FC. Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- "Vannes v. Grenoble Match Report" (in French). Ligue de Football Professionnel. 8 April 2011. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- "Bastia: Florian Thauvin (Grenoble) a signé" (in French). Foot-National. 19 July 2011. Retrieved 26 August 2011.
- "Bastia beat Bordeaux, Lorient deny Ajaccio". UEFA.com. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "Deux prêts à Bastia". L'Equipe (in French). 30 January 2013. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Marseille clinches Thauvin deal". Goal.com. 2 September 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "France 4-0 Uzbekistan". FIFA. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "France 2-1 Ghana". FIFA. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "The next 10 big things: Europe's top youngsters and stars of the future". The Observer. 18 January 2014.
- "Florian Thauvin". Football Database.eu. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Florian Thauvin French stats. LFP. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Florian Thauvin.|
- Florian Thauvin at LFP.fr
- Florian Thauvin at L'Équipe Football (French)
- ESPN Profile
- France profile at FFF