Florida's 13th congressional district
|Florida's 13th congressional district|
|Current Representative||Vacant ()|
Florida's 13th congressional district is an electoral district for the U.S. Congress and was reassigned in 2012, effective January 2013, to just Pinellas County. The 13th district includes an area from Dunedin to western and northern St. Petersburg.
During 2003–2012, it encompassed all of Sarasota, DeSoto, and Hardee counties and most of Manatee County except for a small northern coastal portion that was then located in the neighboring 11th Congressional District. It also included a small section of Charlotte County.
List of representatives
|District created January 3, 1973|
|William Lehman||Democratic||January 3, 1973 –
January 3, 1983
|Redistricted to the 17th district|
|Connie Mack III||Republican||January 3, 1983 –
January 3, 1989
|Retired to run for U.S. Senate|
|Porter Goss||Republican||January 3, 1989 –
January 3, 1993
|Redistricted to the 14th district|
|Dan Miller||Republican||January 3, 1993 –
January 3, 2003
|Katherine Harris||Republican||January 3, 2003 –
January 3, 2007
|Retired to run for U.S. Senate|
|Vern Buchanan||Republican||January 3, 2007 –
January 3, 2013
|Redistricted to the 16th district|
|Bill Young||Republican||January 3, 2013 –
October 18, 2013
|Redistricted from the 10th district
|Vacant||October 18, 2013 –
|Election results from presidential races|
|2000||President||George W. Bush 55% - Al Gore 46%|
|2004||President||George W. Bush 56% - John Kerry 44%|
|2008||President||John McCain 52% - Barack Obama 47%|
|2012||President||Barack Obama 50% - Mitt Romney 49%|
|Florida's 13th Congressional District Election (2002)|
|Florida's 13th Congressional District Election (2004)|
|Florida's 13th Congressional District Election (2006)|
- Election officials certified Buchanan as the winner of the race over Jennings by 369 votes. Buchanan was declared the winner after a mandatory recount and analysis of alleged voting machine errors in the race. The primary controversy in this race was that over 18,000 ballots (or roughly one in six) cast in Sarasota County apparently did not register a vote for this race, far higher than in the two previous elections involving Jan Schneider, but lower than the undervote in 2000. Sarasota County voted for Jennings by a six-point margin. Jennings refused to concede the race and pursued administrative and legal challenges to the result, including an appeal for an investigation of the election with the House Administration Committee. Preliminary results from an investigation by Congress's Government Accountability Office concluded that there was no evidence that the voting machines caused the high undervote, but that inadequate testing made it impossible to prove their complete reliability. Sarasota County has since moved to optical scanned paper ballots as a result of a 2006 referendum vote.
According to a statistical study published in 2008, the missing votes were caused by the ballot screen layout. The authors' best estimate on what the result would have been, had this problem not occurred, gave victory to Jennings at a 99.9% confidence level, and a mean margin of victory for her of 639 votes.
|Florida's 13th Congressional District Election (2008)|
|Florida's 13th Congressional District Election (2010)|
|Democratic||James T. Golden||83,123||31.14%|
|Florida's 13th Congressional District Election (2012)|
|Republican||C. W. Bill Young||189,609||57.57%|
- See whole Florida state map for 2013, with the 13th district covering Sumter County, Hernando to Marion County: h9047_35x42L.pdf Congressional Plan: H000C9047. Chapter No. 2012-2, Laws of Florida. www.flsenate.gov. February 16, 2012.
- See 2013 borders of 13th district in the 2013 districts map: H000C9047_map_bb.pdf, for the Big Bend region of Florida. Congressional Plan: H000C9047. Chapter No. 2012-2, Laws of Florida. www.flsenate.gov. February 2012.
- Juliet Eilperin (October 18, 2013). "C. W. “Bill” Young, longest-serving Republican in the House, dies at 82". The Washington Post.
- The CQPolitics Interview: Christine Jennings (December 6, 2006)
- GAO Report (October 2, 2007)
- Arlene Ash and John Lamperti (Spring 2008). "Florida 2006: Can Statistics Tell Us Who Won Congressional District-13?" (pdf). Chance (Springer) 21 (2): 18–24. doi:10.1007/s00144-008-0015-5. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1982). The Historical Atlas of United States Congressional Districts. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present
- Voting inquiry finds reasons to dig deeper (Sarasota Herald-Tribune, August 4, 2007)
- Congressional task force to begin investigating contested Florida 13 election. (The Bradenton Herald, March 31, 2007)
- Congressional Republicans act to block Congressional Task Force slated to begin investigation into Florida 13. (Sarasota Herald-Tribune, March 28, 2007)
- Memo on voting machines "misfiled" by Kathy Dent's office. (Sarasota Herald-Tribune, March 17, 2007)
- People for the American Way Statement on Newly Revealed ES&S Memo on Possible Machine Malfunction. (People for the American Way, March 15, 2007)
- August 2006 Memo from Elections Systems and Software warning Florida Supervisors of Elections of a response time issue on their iVotronics touchscreen voting systems.
- Sarasota: Could a Bug Have Lost Votes? (Professor Ed Felten, February 27, 2006)
- Software Review and Security Analysis of the ES&S iVotronic 18.104.22.168 Voting Machine Firmware, Final Report. (Florida Department of State, February, 2007)
- Affidavit by Clare Ward-Jenkins, poll worker in Precinct 14, Sarasota County. Ms. Ward-Jenkins' affidavit details her encounters with a bug that repeatedly cleared votes cast for Democratic Congressional candidate, Christine Jennings., January 19, 2007)
- Analysis: Undervoted ballots heavily favored Democrats. (Orlando Sentinel, November 22, 2006)
- Buchanan declared winner; rival Jennings sues (Sarasota Herald-Tribune, November 21, 2006)
- Christine Jennings' "Complaint to Contest Election" (Filed in Florida Court, November 20, 2006)
- Sarasota County Electronic Ballot Screenshots (Posted on The BradBlog, November 20, 2006)
- Christine Jennings' web site.
- Vern Buchanan's Congressional web site.