Florida Atlantic University College of Education
The College of Education is an academic college of Florida Atlantic University located in Boca Raton, Florida, USA. The college's main focus is to "provide effective leadership in areas of research, service, and teaching at the local, state, national, and international levels..." The college was founded in 1964 when Florida Atlantic opened its doors. "The college employs 132 full-time faculty and 48 staff members throughout its four campuses, as well as classroom teachers and staff employed by the A.D. Henderson School, FAU High, and the Karen Slattery Center." The college is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Enrollment - Overview
As of 2007, enrollment in the College of Education totaled 3,253 or 13% of Florida Atlantic University's total student body. Elementary Education is the top undergraduate major at the university based on total headcount enrollments.
ENROLLMENTS - SPRING 2009
According to the Spring 2009 data reported on FAU's institutional effectiveness interactive web site, FAU's College of Education enrolled 928 graduate degree seeking students as follows:
- 660 masters degree seeking students enrolled
- 56 specialist degree seeking students enrolled
- 212 doctoral degree seeking students enrolled
- Graduate certification graduates for educational leaders are not included in these numbers above.
Spring, 2009 FAU institutional effectiveness data report that 742 of all COE degree seeking graduate students are female with 186 male students. Approximately 29% of the COE's graduate degree seeking students are ethnic minorities (Asian or Pacific Islander, Black, Hispanic, Non-Resident Alien).
Palm Pointe Educational Research School at Tradition
Palm Pointe is an educational research school with a partnership between Florida Atlantic and the St. Lucie County School District. It is located in the town of Tradition in Port St. Lucie, Florida. The school serves as a location for student teaching experiences of undergraduate elementary and secondary education students. In addition, service to practitioners in the field is provided through professional visitations, workshops, demonstrations, and teaching tapes. The school is a site for statewide, in‐service clinical educator training. Faculty members may serve as instructors at Florida Atlantic University campuses.
Alexander D. Henderson University School
The Alexander D. Henderson University School is a public elementary and middle school (K-8) and legislated school district operating as an educational laboratory on the FAU's Boca Raton campus. The school is rated an "A+ School" by the Florida Department of Education. This ranking is determined based on student scores on the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test. The Henderson School is also a U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon School. Only 4% percent of schools in the United States have received this designation. The Dean of the College of Education is the designated Superintendent.
Pine Jog Center
The college also operates the Pine Jog Environmental Education Center, "one of the oldest nature centers in the U.S. serving over 25,000 students, 750 teachers, and 12,500 families annually from Palm Beach County and surrounding counties. In April 2007 FAU and the School District of Palm Beach County began construction of an elementary school and new facilities for Pine Jog at the site. "The school, scheduled to open no later than August 2008, will have an environmental focus, using the Pine Jog site as an outdoor classroom." The new school "will also be the first public elementary school in Florida to become certified by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) as a “green” building." LEED are standards designed by the United States Green Building Council to classify a building as environmentally friendly.
- "College of Education Mission Statement". Florida Atlantic University College of Education. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "College of Education Fact Sheet". Florida Atlantic University College of Education. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "2006-2007 Quick Facts". Florida Atlantic University: Office of Institutional Effectiveness & Analysis. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "A.D. Henderson University School - Mission Statement". Florida Atlantic University College of Education. Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "Palm Beach School District and FAU Break Ground for New "Green" Elementary School and Pine Jog Facility" (Press release). Florida Atlantic University: Office of Communications and Marketing. 2007-04-11. Retrieved 2007-07-12.
http://iea.fau.edu/Reports/degrees.aspx <il> Interactive reference for degree and enrollment data. <il>