The Florida Catholic newspaper, Miami Archdiocese edition
|Type||Orlando, Palm Beach and Venice dioceses editions: 24 times a year. Miami Archdiocese: 12 times a year newspaper|
|Owner(s)||Roman Catholic Ecclesiastical Province of Miami|
|Publisher||Archbishop Thomas Wenski of Miami; Bishop Gerald Barbarito of Palm Beach; Bishop John Gerard Noonan of Orlando; Bishop Frank Joseph Dewane of Venice|
The Florida Catholic newspaper is the official news organization for four of the seven dioceses in the Ecclesiastical Province of Miami. Based in Orlando, FL, the newspaper publishes three dioceses 24 times a year. Those editions include local, state, national and international Catholic news. The Miami Archdiocese edition is published once a month with local content.
Other articles discuss faith issues and highlight specific schools, ministries or parish activities. The Bishop of each Florida Diocese offers a personal message to subscribers in their diocese on current events or faith subjects. An online version of the newspaper offers the most recent edition as well as an archive of past articles and bishop's messages.
The paper was first published as a weekly in Miami in 1939. It moved to St. Augustine in 1942. It moved to Orlando about 1952. In 1958 it is replaced by the The Voice only in the Miami diocese for the next 32 years.
In 1972, the paper changed its format from broadsheet to tabloid.
In 1990, the paper absorbed The Voice published by the Archdiocese of Miami and began serving that area. The addition of Miami gives the paper a circulation of 140,000 and serving six out of the seven dioceses in the state.
In 1993, specific local sections were generated for each diocese.
In 2003, it was discovered that a bookkeeper had embezzled money totaling a large sum over decades. The bookkeeper was charged with grand theft and the editor felt obliged to resign. This resulted in an abbreviated publishing schedule for several years until losses could be recouped.
In 2008, the paper is published for the final time in the St. Petersburg Diocese. It begins production of a new publication for that diocese, Gathered, Nourished, Sent.
- Father Vincent Smith ?-1965
- Father David Page 1965-1990
- Henry Libersat 1990-1999
- Steven Paradis 1999-2003
- Christopher Gunty 2003-2008
- Denise O'Toole Kelly 2008-2009 
- Mary St. Pierre 2009-2010
- Poynter.org accessed March 14, 2008
- http://web.archive.org/web/20040329091003/http://www.catholicstandard.org/images/national.pdf accessed September 27, 2007
- "US Catholic Newspapers". Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- Newspapers accessed March 14, 2008 Archived August 3, 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- The Florida Catholic Timeline. The Florida Catholic. January 2–16, 2009.
- Non-current Catholic newspapers accessed March 14, 2008
- Orlando Sentinel accessed March 14, 2008
- Tomaselli (March 14–20, 2008). Priests will be honored at chrism Mass. Florida Catholic.
- Florida Catholic Conference accessed March 14, 2008
- Hard to verify. Not known if there was intervening editor. Title apparently changed.