Secretary of State of Florida
|Secretary of State of Florida|
|Inaugural holder||James T. Archer
Like the corresponding officials in other states, the original charge of the Secretary of State — to be the "Keeper of the Great Seal" — has expanded greatly since the office was first created. According to the state website, "Today, the Secretary of State is Florida's Chief of Elections, Chief Cultural Officer, the State Protocol Officer and the head of the Department of State."
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Originally, the Secretary of State of Florida was elected by the people of the state in the general election. However, in 1998, constitutional changes removed the Secretary of State from the elected Cabinet of the executive branch. That year, Katherine Harris won the last election for Secretary of State.
List of Secretaries of State
- James Tillinghast Archer, 1845–48
- Augustus Emmett Maxwell, 1848–49
- Charles W. Downing, Jr., 1849–53
- Frederick L. Villepigue, 1853–63
- Benjamin F. Allen, 1863–68
- George J. Alden, 1868
- Jonathan Clarkson Gibbs, 1868–73
- Samuel B. Mclin, 1873–77
- William Dunnington Bloxham, 1877–80
- Frederick W. A. Rankin, Jr., 1880–81
- John Lovic Crawford, 1881–1902
- Henry Clay Crawford, 1902–29
- William Monroe Igou, 1929–30
- Robert Andrew Gray, 1930–61
- Thomas Burton "Tom" Adams, Jr., 1961–71
- Richard Bernard Stone, 1971–74
- Dorothy W. Glisson, 1974–75
- Bruce Armistead Smathers, 1975–78
- Jesse J. McCrary, Jr., 1978–79
- George Firestone, 1979–87
- James C. Smith, 1987–95
- Sandra Mortham, 1995–99
- Katherine Harris, 1999–2002
- James C. Smith, 2002–03
- Ken Detzner, 2003
- Glenda Hood, 2003–05
- David E. Mann, 2005
- Sue McCourt Cobb, 2005–07
- Kurt S. Browning, 2007–10
- Dawn K. Roberts, interim, 2010–11
- Jennifer Kennedy, acting, 2011
- Kurt S. Browning. 2011–12
- Ken Detzner, 2012–present
- "Florida Department of State website". 2007. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- "State and Local Government-Florida Executive Branch". The Green Papers. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Florida Legislature website: Florida Constitution". Leg.state.fl.us. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Florida Secretary of State". Our Campaigns.com. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "GLENDA HOOD STEPS DOWN AS SECRETARY OF STATE". Office of Secretary of State. November 1, 2005. Retrieved 2011-08-18.
- "Florida Department of State » Office of the Secretary » About the Secretary". Dos.state.fl.us. Retrieved 2012-04-06.
- "Florida Department of State » Office of the Secretary » Office History". Dos.state.fl.us. Retrieved 2012-04-06.