Florida State Road 296
|Maintained by FDOT|
|Length:||9.06 mi (14.58 km)|
|West end:||US 90 / CR 296 in Bellview|
| US 29 / SR 95 in Brent
I-110 / SR 8A in Pensacola
|East end:||US 90 in Pensacola|
State Road 296 (SR 296) is a major thoroughfare in the Pensacola, Florida metropolitan area. It is an east–west route running roughly through midtown Pensacola and West Pensacola. Locally, it is known as Michigan Avenue, Beverly Parkway, Brent Lane, Bayou Boulevard, and Perry Avenue. The western terminus of SR 296 is at U.S. Route 90 (Mobile Highway). Westward of this intersection, County Road 296 (Saufley Field Road) connects to State Road 173. The eastern terminus of State Road 296 is again at U.S. Route 90, this time in eastern Pensacola, where it is known as Cervantes Street.
State Road 296 begins at an intersection with U.S. Route 90 (Mobile Highway (State Road 10A)) in Bellview, Florida, as a continuation of County Road 296 (Saufley Field Road), which runs from State Road 173 to the Mobile Highway intersection. State Road 296 heads eastward from U.S. Route 90 as West Michigan Avenue through a four-lane commercial neighborhood. This continues for a couple miles before entering a residential neighborhood just east of Esperanto Road. Passing near Crescent Lake, State Road 296 turns to the northeast and soon to the east before Pipeline Road, where the road turns to the southeast and changes names to Beverly Parkway. After the name change, the road crosses a freight railroad crossing and enters Brent, where it intersects with County Road 453 (NW Street). The highway expands to four lanes and becomes commercial, entering an intersection with U.S. Route 29 (State Road 85, Old Palafox Highway).
At that intersection, State Road 296 changes names to Brent Lane and soon crosses over freight tracks on a viaduct. Just after the viaduct, the highway passes the Pensacola Christian College and enters a modified diamond interchange with Interstate 110 (State Road 8A). From there, State Road 296 intersects with State Road 291 (North Davis Highway) in Pensacola and turns to the northeast as Brent Lane. At the intersection with Springhill Drive, State Road 296 turns southeastward and changes names to Bayou Boulevard. The road passes to the south of Sacred Heart Hospital and intersects with State Road 289. Passing a campus of the University of Florida, the route turns southeastward through a commercial neighborhood of Pensacola. Entering East Pensacola Heights, State Road 296 becomes primarily residential for several miles, until Baisden Road, where it turns eastward along Bayou Texar. The roads turns south once more along the bayou before the intersection with Hyde Park Road, where State Road 296 turns eastward along Hyde Park Road, coming to an intersection with U.S. Route 90 (Scenic Highway) in Pensacola. This intersection is the eastern terminus of State Road 296.
|This section requires expansion. (February 2014)|
The entire route is in Escambia County.
|Bellview||0.00||0.00||US 90 (Mobile Highway) / CR 296 (Saufley Field Road)||Western terminus of State Road 296|
|Brent||3.55||5.71||US 29 / SR 95 (Old Palafox Highway)|
|4.67||7.52||SR 291 (Davis Highway)|
|9.06||14.58||US 90 (Scenic Highway)||Eastern terminus of State Road 296|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Yahoo! Inc. "Overview map of State Road 296". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=30.444904&lon=-87.237457&zoom=14&q1=30.460923%2C-87.301025&w0=30.461029763361122%2C-87.30088233947754&q2=30.463771%2C-87.252917&q3=30.466666%2C-87.242424&q4=30.471705%2C-87.229485&w3=&q5=30.473351%2C-87.225397&w4=&q6=30.473277%2C-87.212222&w5=&q7=30.43965%2C-87.174156. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- "Edward Aylesworth Perry". Pensapedia. Retrieved October 23, 2011.
- Microsoft. "Overview map of State Road 296". Bing Maps (Map). Cartography by Nokia. http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9cDI1eHpyN3Ixd3JkJmx2bD0xOCZzdHk9YiZydHA9cG9zLjMwLjQ2MTIyMjk2NzQ5MTQ4Xy04Ny4zMDEwNjkxNTM0NDI0X25lYXIlMjBNb2JpbGUlMjBId3klMkMlMjBQZW5zYWNvbGElMkMlMjBGTCUyMDMyNTI2X19fYV9+di4zMC40NzU0NzM4NTY4MTAyNl8tODcuMjE4NjA5NjAxMjU5MjNfU1ItMjk2JTIwJTJGJTIwQnJlbnQlMjBMbn5wb3MuMzAuNDM5NjU3ODYzMjg1NTMyXy04Ny4xNzM5MjE4NTUxNTU5NV9fX19hXyZtb2RlPUQmcnRvcD0wfjB+MH4=. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- General Highway Map, Escambia County, January 1970, reprinted March 1975
- General Highway Map, Escambia County, January 1970, reprinted January 1977
- Bethea, Bryan. "Routes 290 - 299". Florida's Great Renumbering. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- Florida State Road 296/Escambia County Road 296 (AARoads)
- Florida Route Log (SR 296)