Florida State Road 568
|Maintained by Florida's Turnpike Enterprise|
|Length:||3.036 mi (4.886 km)|
|Existed:||1994 (opened); 2001 (as SR 568) – present|
|West end:||SR 589 near Citrus Park|
|East end:||SR 597 near Lutz|
State Road 568 (SR 568) is a short stub of the Veterans Expressway (SR 589) north of Tampa. The road was built in 1994, but was reassigned as SR 568 in 2001 when SR 589 moved to the new Suncoast Parkway. It connects the aforementioned SR 589 to SR 597. Toll Road 568 is on the segment of the Veterans Expressway that was intended to be extended to Lutz, Florida in the vicinity of the northern interchange with I-75 and I-275.
SR 568 begins at Exit 13 on the Veterans Expressway northbound, where the main expressway northbound becomes the Suncoast Parkway. The road heads east as a four lane expressway, ending at its lone interchange at a traffic signal at SR 597. There is no access to the Suncoast Parkway from SR 568 or vice versa; motorists heading west on SR 568 will be heading south on the Veterans Expressway. Despite having no tolls on the spur, those using the road will have to pay a toll on the Veterans Expressway.
The road was built as a part of the Veterans Expressway, and opened in 1994. The road was planned to extend eastward to Lutz and I-275, however, local opposition has cancelled the East-West Road. When the Suncoast Parkway was opened in 2001 as a de facto extension of the Veterans Expressway, the resulting three mile spur was reassigned as SR 568.
The entire route is in Hillsborough County.
|Northdale||0.000||0.000||SR 589 south (Veterans Expressway) – Clearwater, St. Petersburg||SR 589 exit 13|
|Cheval||3.036||4.886||SR 597 (Dale Mabry Highway) – Tampa, Lutz|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "Florida Department of Transportation Interchange Report" (PDF). Florida Department of Transportation. 2008-11-24. p. 18. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- Florida's Turnpike - System Description - Toll 589 - The Veterans Expressway/Suncoast Parkway
- Veterans Expressway/Suncoast Parkway
- Google Inc. "overview map of Veterans Expressway Spur". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Florida+589+Toll+N%2FVeterans+Expy&daddr=Florida+568+Toll+E%2FVeterans+Expy&geocode=FRMMrQEdO3MU-w%3BFZhFrQEdnBwV-w&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=28.118745,-82.543502&sspn=0.004551,0.006899&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- Google Inc. "overview map of Veterans Expressway Spur West". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Florida+568+Toll+W%2FVeterans+Expy&daddr=Florida+589+Toll+S%2FVeterans+Expy&geocode=FdpHrQEdbxwV-w%3BFeD-rAEdBHIU-w&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=28.135246,-82.50755&sspn=0.004551,0.006899&ie=UTF8&t=k&z=14. Retrieved 2010-05-09.
- Veterans Expressway System Retrieved 12 April 2010