Florida State Road 9B
|Auxiliary route of SR 9|
|Maintained by FDOT|
|Length:||7.5 mi (12.1 km)|
|South end:||CR 2209 in St. Johns County|
|I‑95 in Duval County|
|North end:||US 1 / SR 5 in Jacksonville|
|South end:||US 1 in Jacksonville|
|North end:||I‑295 in Jacksonville|
|Counties:||St. Johns, Duval|
State Road 9B (SR 9B) is a 3.0-mile-long (4.8 km) freeway on the south side of Jacksonville, Florida in the United States. Its north end is at the southeast-most point on I-295, and it currently terminates at U.S. Highway 1 (US 1) south of Jacksonville. An extension, extending the freeway to 7.5 miles (12.1 km), is under construction to connect to I-95 (unsigned SR 9), and may continue south to serve planned development and possibly extend west as a planned bridge over the St. Johns River (which will connect to SR 23). The section north of I-95 will be signed as Interstate 795 (I-795) when it is completed.
Beginning at the I-295 interchange in southeastern Duval, the first phase of State Road 9B extends three miles (4.8 km) due south towards US 1 at Gran Bay Parkway. This segment initially opened with four lanes, but due to a late contract modification, can easily expand to six lanes. At US 1, exit ramps connect the roads with signalized intersections.
Phase 1 of the SR 9B/I-795 project, consisting of a three-mile (4.8 km) spur from the Eastern Beltway of I-295 to US 1, began in the middle of 2010 and was scheduled to be completed in early of 2013, at an estimated cost of $68.5 million. The winning contract went to Archer Western Contractors / GAI Consultants, who also reconstructed the I-10/I-95 interchange in downtown Jacksonville. The roadway was originally planned to open in the end of 2012, but was pushed back to 2013 to allow for the construction of a wider paved area to facilitate future expansion. In late July 2013, southbound I-295 was closed a few nights to install new overhead signs for the SR 9B interchange, one of the final construction projects of Phase 1. Phase 1 opened September 19, 2013.
Superior Construction and Arcadis US was awarded a $95 million design-build contract for the second phase of SR 9B, from US 1 to I-95. Construction began in April 2013 and is scheduled for completion in the middle of 2016. Phase 2 will include a new four-lane road between US 1 and I-95. The phase 1 interchange at US 1 will be upgraded with additional exit ramps and an overpass over US 1 and Veveras Drive in addition to utility work along US 1. At I-95 a brand new interchange will be constructed along with noise walls in the northwest and southeast corners. Resurfacing of I-95 between Old St. Augustine Road and the rest areas north of County Road 210 in preparation of the future interchange began in July 2013.
Phase 1 of SR 9B from I-295 south to US 1 has opened as of September 19, 2013; this listing is subject to change.
|St. Johns||St. Johns||0||0||CR 2209 (St. Johns Parkway)||Future at-grade intersection|
|1.5||2.4||Race Track Road Connector||Future interchange; may connect with Nocatee Parkway long-term|
|Duval||Jacksonville||3||5||I‑95 (SR 9) – Jacksonville, Daytona Beach||Future interchange; southern end of phase 2|
|4||6||Flagler Center Boulevard||Future interchange; southbound exit only|
|4.5||7.2||US 1 (Philips Highway / SR 5)||Current southern end|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Donges, Patrick (September 19, 2013). "State Road 9B Open In Jacksonville". Jacksonville, FL: WJCT-TV. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- District Two Public Information Office (February 22, 2007). "State Road 9B" (PDF). Florida Department of Transportation. Retrieved October 20, 2010.
- District Two Public Information Office. "Phase 1". Florida Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- District Two Public Information Office. "Phase 2". Florida Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- District Two Public Information Office. "FAQ". Florida Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- "State Road 9B Construction May Begin". Jacksonville, FL: WJXT-TV. Archived from the original on January 4, 2010. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Sanderson, Laurie. "State Road 9B from the I-295 East Beltway to US 1 (Philips Highway)". District Two Public Information Office, Florida Department of Transportation. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Inclan, Lorna (January 30, 2013). "The wait is almost over for State Road 9B". Jacksonville, FL: WTEV-TV. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "I-295 southbound lanes to close for 2 nights". Jacksonville, FL: WJXT-TV. July 24, 2013. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- Cravey, Beth (July 26, 2013). "Nighttime I-95 closures planned in St. Johns for next three weeks". The Florida Times-Union (Jacksonville, FL). Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- Staff. "Project 84, Racetrack Rd Realignment" (PDF). 2035 LRTP Adopted Needs Plan. North Florida Transportation Planning Organization.