From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Not to be confused with Florida.
|Comune di Floridia|
|• Mayor||Orazio Scalorino (PD)|
|• Total||26.22 km2 (10.12 sq mi)|
|Elevation||111 m (364 ft)|
|Population (December 31, 2004)|
|• Density||820/km2 (2,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||SS. Maria Immacolata|
|Saint day||December 8|
Floridia lies 12 km west of Syracuse. Its principal industries are agriculture, livestock, and manufacturing.
Floridia was founded in 1628.
Floridia's streets are laid out in an even, rectangular grid pattern. The main landmarks are:
- Chiesa Madre S. Bartolomeo Apostolo
- Chiesa di S. Antonio
- Chiesa di S. Anna
- Chiesa del Carmine, whose façade was greatly damaged by the earthquake of 1908, but has since been restored
- Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie, erected by the Spanish after their victory over the Austrians
- Chiesa di S. Francesco
- Cava di Spampinato, a rock formation of crevices and caves that were created by erosion
- This article incorporates information from the German Wikipedia.
|This Sicilian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|