Flowering Locus C
Flowering Locus C  (FLC) is a MADS-box gene that in late-flowering ecotypes of the plant Arabidopsis thaliana is responsible for vernalization. In a new seedling FLC is expressed, which prevents flowering. Upon exposure to cold, less FLC is expressed (to a degree depending on the amount of cold), and flowering becomes possible. FLC is extensively regulated through epigenetic modifications and transcriptional control.
Wild Arabidopsis plants have different alleles for the FLC gene, which correspond to ecotypes which either (a) flower rapidly and produce a number of generations during one summer (summer-annual), or (b) flower only after vernalization (winter-annual or late-flowering). This kind of variation can also be provided by variation in the FRIGIDA (FRI) gene.
- Michaels SD, Amasino RM (1999), "FLOWERING LOCUS C encodes a novel MADS domain protein that acts as a repressor of flowering", Plant Cell 11 (5): 949–56, doi:10.1105/tpc.11.5.949, PMC 144226, PMID 10330478.
- Sheldon, Cc; Rouse, Dt; Finnegan, Ej; Peacock, Wj; Dennis, Es (Mar 2000), "The molecular basis of vernalization: the central role of FLOWERING LOCUS C (FLC)." (Free full text), Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 97 (7): 3753–8, doi:10.1073/pnas.060023597, PMC 16312, PMID 10716723
- Lim, Mh; Kim, J; Kim, Ys; Chung, Ks; Seo, Yh; Lee, I; Kim, J; Hong, Cb; Kim, Hj; Park, Cm (Mar 2004), "A new Arabidopsis gene, FLK, encodes an RNA binding protein with K homology motifs and regulates flowering time via FLOWERING LOCUS C." (Free full text), The Plant cell 16 (3): 731–40, doi:10.1105/tpc.019331, PMC 385284, PMID 14973162
- Sheldon, C. C.; Conn, AB; Dennis, ES; Peacock, WJ (2002), "Different Regulatory Regions Are Required for the Vernalization-Induced Repression of FLOWERING LOCUS C and for the Epigenetic Maintenance of Repression", The Plant Cell Online 14 (10): 2527, doi:10.1105/tpc.004564, PMC 151233, PMID 12368502
- Michaels, Sd; He, Y; Scortecci, Kc; Amasino, Rm (Aug 2003), "Attenuation of FLOWERING LOCUS C activity as a mechanism for the evolution of summer-annual flowering behavior in Arabidopsis." (Free full text), Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 100 (17): 10102–7, doi:10.1073/pnas.1531467100, PMC 187779, PMID 12904584
|This botany article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|