Floyd Central High School
|Floyd Central High School|
|6575 Old Vincennes Rd.
Floyds Knobs, Indiana, 47119
|Type||Public high school|
|Assistant Principals||Rob Willman|
|Number of students||1,691|
|Athletics||Soccer, Golf, Tennis, Cross Country, Track and Field, Football, Basketball, Baseball, Wrestling, Volleyball, Swimming, Diving, Cheerleading.|
|Rivals||New Albany, Jeffersonville, Providence , Madison|
Floyd Central High School is a public high school in the New Albany-Floyd County Consolidated School Corporation and is located in Southern Indiana, in Floyds Knobs, an unincorporated area in Floyd County, Indiana.
The school was built in 1967 and has had many expansions since then, including an auditorium. The school was formerly called "Floyd Central Junior-Senior High School" until the opening of Highland Hills Middle School in 2004.
The girls' cross country team is the most decorated, with four state titles from 1989 through 1992. The boys cross country team won the state championship in 1991. Boys golf took state in 2005-06 and 2006-07.
Performing Arts- Band, Orchestra, Choir, Handbells and Theater
Floyd Central Theater was recognized in 2007 by the Educational Theater Association as one of the top five theater programs in the nation. Multiple productions have been selected as main stage productions at the International Thespian Festival and four invitations to represent Indiana at The International Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland have been received. The A Cappella Choir won the ISSMA State Championship in 2015, and has been a state finalist almost all years in recent decades. The orchestra won the 1995 ISSMA State Championship and has qualified for the ISSMA state finals 26 years in a row. In addition to marching and symphonic band, Floyd Central has a volunteer pep band to play at basketball games, a jazz ensemble, and strong winter percussion/winter guard programs. The music department as a whole has been nationally recognized twice as a Grammy School, being designated as a Grammy Signature Gold Award School in 1998-1999 and as a Grammy Signature School in 2002. The school also operates WNAS-TV and WNAS-FM, in cooperation with New Albany High School.
- Nearly one year later, Floyd Central High School 40 percent completed » Floyd County » News and Tribune
- Floyd Central High School District Map (Archive). New Albany-Floyd County Consolidated School Corporation. Retrieved on April 9, 2015.
- "Floyd Central High School - Verkler, Incorporated - General Contractor and Construction Management Services". verkler.com. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "IHSAA State Championships by School". ihsaa.org. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Awards". schooltheatre.org. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Broken legs, killed audiences: Chris Bundy and David Longest end their momentous careers with theater programs". News and Tribune. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "They Are The Champions". newsandtribune.com. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
- "Indiana State School Music Association". issma.net. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "120 U.S. High Schools in the Running for Grants for Music Excellence". The GRAMMYs. Retrieved 3 May 2015.