Floyd E. Kellam High School
|Floyd E. Kellam High School|
|2665 West Neck Road
Virginia Beach, Virginia, 23456
|School type||Public, high school|
|Motto||"Feed Freedom with Knowledge"|
|School district||Virginia Beach City Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Dr. Aaron C. Spence|
|Principal||Mr. Bruce A. Biehl|
|Color(s)||Black, Gold, and White|
|Athletics conference||Virginia High School League
|Communities served||Pungo, Princess Anne, Sandbridge|
|Feeder schools||Princess Anne Middle School|
Floyd E. Kellam High School is a public high school in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Located in the city's southern section, in Princess Anne the school first opened in 1962, named after judge Floyd Eaton Kellam. Kellam High School serves a large portion of the city of Virginia Beach, with the attendance boundary extending south to the North Carolina border. The student population is 82 percent Caucasian students, 9 percent African-American students, 5 percent Hispanic, and 3 percent Asian/Pacific Islander students. Kellam High moved into a brand new state of the art facility in 2014.
Floyd Kellam High School is fully accredited under Virginia's Standards of Learning program. The school is the third-oldest in Virginia Beach, next to Princess Anne High School and Frank W. Cox High School. Kellam has also been a blue ribbon school in the Fine Arts Department for the years 2006 and 2007.
Mr. Bruce A. Biehl - Principal
Ms. Sherri Brooks - Assistant Principal
Mr. Richard Trumble - Assistant Principal
Ms. Carrie Pierce - Assistant Principal
Dr. Christopher Jones - Assistant Principal
Mr. Jim Moxey - Student Activities Coordinator
Ms. Amanda Hansen - Guidance Director
Ms. Lisa Long - School Improvement Specialist
Virginia state championships
- 1994 Gymnastics
- 2005 Girl's Soccer
- 2006 Gymnastics
- 2007 Softball
- 2010 Gymnastics
- 2010 Boy's Golf
- 2010 Girl's Volleyball
- 2011 Girl's Volleyball (perfect season)
- 2012 Girl's Volleyball (3peat) (Only school in the state of Virginia to win the same three titles in the same sport
- 2013 Gymnastics
Individual state champions
- 2003 Natalie Sherbak, Cross Country
- 2003 Kelley Taylor, Outdoor Track: 1600m, Indoor Track: 4x800
- 2003 Tiffany Howell, Outdoor Track: 4x800m
- 2004 Tara Conner, Outdoor Track: 4x800m
- 2004 Audrey Hand, Outdoor Track: 4x800m
- 2004 Natalie Sherbak, Indoor Track: 1000m
- 2004 Natalie Sherbak, Outdoor Track: 4x800m, 800m, 1600m
- 2004 Jessica Smith, Outdoor Track: 4x800m
- 2005 Johnny Olanowski, Wrestling: 119
- 2006 Talia Tossone, Gymnastics: Vault
- 2007 Eric Olanowski, Wrestling: 112
- 2007 Mike Holcomb, Wrestling: 119
- 2009 Bobby Peavey, Indoor Track: 1600 meter, 4:09.31 (meet record)
- 2010 Aaron Runzo, Wrestling: 125
- 2012 Christian Olanowski, Wrestling: 132
- 2012 Brad Johnson, Indoor Track: Pole Vault 15'3
- 2013 Abby Motley, Outdoor Track: 3200m
- Ian Thomas, Atlanta Braves
- 1971 Herbert Scott, Dallas Cowboys
- 1989 Matt Williams, Milwaukee Brewers
- 2002 Ryan Zimmerman, Washington Nationals
- "About Our School". Kellam High School. Retrieved 14 June 2006.
- "Virginia Department of Education Report Card: Floyd Kellam High School" (pdf). Virginia Department of Education. Retrieved 2009-03-29.
- "Kellam grad Ian Thomas makes Atlanta Braves' roster". Virginian-Pilot. March 30, 2014. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- Miller, Ed (May 11, 2013). "Kellam grad rides a rocky road to minor league stardom". Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Herbert Scott". Pro Football Archives. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Matt Williams Statistics and History". Baseball Reference. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- Clemmons, Anna Katherine (December 24, 2009). "Zimmerman mostly unknown commodity". ESPN the Magazine. ESPN.com. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- Kellam Band
- Virginia Beach City Public Schools
- Virginia Beach school mascots and colors
- School Report Card
- Kellam HS official site