Victor Ortiz vs. Floyd Mayweather
|Date||September 17, 2011|
|Location||MGM Grand, Staples Center|
|Title(s) on the line||WBC Welterweight Championship|
|Victor Ortiz vs. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.|
|Tale of the tape|
|Oxnard, California||From||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|29–2–2 (22 KO)||Pre-fight record||41–0–0 (25 KO)|
|5 feet, 9.7 inches||Height||5 feet, 8 inches|
|WBC Welterweight Champion||Recognition|
|Result||Floyd Mayweather via Knockout win in the 4th round.|
Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs. Victor Ortiz, billed as Star Power, was a championship fight for Ortiz's WBC Welterweight title. The bout was held on September 17, 2011, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada and televised via HBO PPV. As a part of a split-site doubleheader, the broadcast also featured the Saul Alvarez vs. Alfonso Gomez Light Middleweight championship bout taking place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.
From round one, Mayweather used his speed, skills and accurate right hand to tag Ortiz repeatedly. Mayweather seemed in control through the first three rounds (judges scores: 30–27, 30–27, 29–28 for Mayweather), but in the fourth round, Ortiz found some success, landing a few shots and stinging Mayweather before bulling him into the corner. Then Ortiz rammed Mayweather in the face with an intentional headbutt, busting open a cut on the inside and outside of Mayweather's mouth. Referee Joe Cortez immediately called timeout and docked Ortiz a point for the foul. Ortiz – seemingly acknowledging his wrongdoing – hugged and even kissed Mayweather in the corner. Cortez motioned the fighters back together to resume the fight. The fighters touched gloves and Mayweather seemed to half-heartedly return another hug from Ortiz. Then, with Cortez looking away from the fighters, and as the fighters separated from the hug, Mayweather caught Ortiz with a left hook. Stunned by the punch, and still not raising his hands to defend himself, Ortiz seemed to stare at Cortez as if to say "did you see that?" Mayweather then hit Ortiz with a flush right to the face. Ortiz dropped straight onto the canvas and was unable to beat Cortez's count as the crowd of 14,687 – clearly an Ortiz house – went absolutely wild.
"In the ring, you have to protect yourself at all times," Mayweather said. "After it happened, we touched gloves and we were back to fighting and then I threw the left hook and right hand after the break. You just gotta protect yourself at all times."
Mayweather was paid a guaranteed $25 million, which can go as high as $40 million depending on the pay per view numbers, and Ortiz was paid $2 million.
Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz generated buys from 1.25 million homes with a value of $78,440,000 in pay-per-view revenue. These numbers make the event the second highest grossing non-heavyweight pay-per-view event of all time.
- Welterweight Championship bout Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs. Victor Ortiz
- Mayweather defeats Ortiz via Knockout at 2:59 of the fourth round
- Light Welterweight Championship bout Erik Morales vs. Pablo César Cano
- Morales defeats Cano via Technical Knockout at 3:00 of the tenth round.
- Light Welterweight bout Jesús Vargas vs. Josésito López
- Vargas defeated López via Split Decisio (95–94, 94–95, 96–93)
- Welterweight bout Carson Jones vs Said Ouali
- Jones defeats Ouali via Technical Knockout (Retirement) at 3:00 of the seventh round.
- Super Middleweight bout Adonis Stevenson vs. Dion Savage
- Stevenson defeats Savage via Technical Knockout at 1:57 of the first round.
- Super Middleweight bout Marco Antonio Periban vs. Carson Jones
- Periban defeats Jones via Unanimous Decision. (80–72, 79–73, 79–73)
- Lightweight bout Anthony Crolla vs. Juan Montiel
- Crolla defeats Montiel via Split Decision. (78–74, 77–75, 75–77)
|Belgium||Be Sport 1|
|Czech Republic||Sport 1|
|Denmark||TV 2 Sport|
|Iceland||Stöð 2 Sport|
|Qatar||Al Jazeera Sports|
|United States||HBO PPV|
- BoxRec Boxing Records. BoxRec.com. Retrieved on 2011-09-18
- HBO: Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Victor Ortiz. HBO.com. Retrieved on 2011-09-18.
- "Mayweather won fair and square". ESPN. September 19, 2011. Retrieved November 10, 2011.
- "Mayweather scores controversial KO". ESPN. September 18, 2011. Retrieved November 10, 2011.
- "AKTV on IBC September Schedule". TV5. September 19, 2011. Retrieved September 19, 2011.
vs. Andre Berto
|Victor Ortiz's bouts
September 17, 2011
vs. Josesito Lopez
vs. Shane Mosley
|Floyd Mayweather, Jr.'s bouts
September 17, 2011
vs. Miguel Cotto