Floyd Newman is a saxophonist, session musician and bandleader. As a baritone sax player, he was long associated with Stax Records, and as a member of The Mar-Keys’ horn section and the Memphis Horns.
Born in Memphis, in the late 1940s he became a member of the B.B. King Review, with, among others, George Coleman and George Joyner. Newman later moved to Detroit and recorded with Jackie Brenston, and toured with Sam Cooke before returning to Memphis. Newman also led a band featuring Howard Grimes on drums, Joe Woods on guitar and Isaac Hayes on keyboards, and which performed at the Plantation Inn. This line-up also recorded a 45, “Frog Stomp”, co-written by Newman and Hayes. Newman and Hayes had previously coincided in Ben Branch’s house band at the Tropicana Club, with Hayes as a vocalist.
As a member of the House horn section at Stax, in 1965 he would go on to become a founding member of the Memphis Horns, with Wayne Jackson and Gene "Bowlegs" Miller on trumpets, Floyd Newman on baritone sax and Andrew Love on tenor.
- As leader/co-leader
- "Frog Stomp"/"Sassy" (Stax)
- As sideman
- 1964: Pain in My Heart – Otis Redding
- 1965: Boss of the Blues – B.B. King
- 1965: Otis Blue – Otis Redding
- 1965: Soul Dressing – Booker T. & the M.G.'s
- 1966: The Great Memphis Sound – The Mar-Keys (Atlantic)
- 1966: The Wicked Pickett – Wilson Pickett
- 1966: The Exciting Wilson Pickett – Wilson Pickett
- 1966: The Soul Album Otis Redding
- 1968: Tell Mama – Etta James (Chess)
- 1968: This Is Clarence Carter – Clarence Carter (Atlantic)
- 1968: The Dock of the Bay – Otis Redding (Atco)
- 1968: Aretha Now – Aretha Franklin
- 1969: Boz Scaggs – Boz Scaggs
- 1971: Stephen Stills 2 – Stephen Stills
- 1975: Chocolate Chip – Isaac Hayes
- 1976: Groove-A-Thon – Isaac Hayes
- Bowman, Rob (1997) Soulsville, U.S.A.: The Story of Stax Records, p. 26 At Google Books. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- Guralnick, Peter (2002) Sweet Soul Music: Rhythm and Blues and the Southern Dream of Freedom, pp. 50–53. Canongate Books At Google Books. Retrieved 30 August 2013.