|First appearance||Fiend Folio|
The flumph is a monster found in the fictional world of the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game. Flumphs are described as sentient, and are the only Lawful Good creatures in the original 1981 Fiend Folio.
Flumphs are depicted as similar in appearance to jellyfish. However they float in the air rather than water, and have eyes on stalks. Flumphs are said to be completely helpless if flipped on to their "back".
Flumphs were first introduced in the Fiend Folio monster sourcebook for D&D 1st Edition, and updated for D&D 2nd Edition rules in the Monstrous Compendium Annual Vol. 2. They appeared in the Open Game Licence (3rd Edition) book Tome of Horrors from Necromancer Games, then officially featured in the 3.5 edition adventure "Box of Flumph" by Tim Hitchcock in Dungeon magazine #118.
For the 3rd and 4th editions of D&D, license-holders Wizards of the Coast primarily used flumphs for comedic value. A 2006 April Fool's joke announced the release of miniatures for Modrons, flumphs, and similar creatures. As part of a 2009 April Fools joke, 4th Edition stats for the Flumph were included in the "Fool's Grove" Dungeon Delve article.
Wizards of the Coast discussed potential changes to the flumph for fifth edition in 2013. In May 2014, Wizards of the Coast confirmed the flumph would be included in the Monster Manual for fifth edition, released September 30, 2014.
Flumphs in other media
Flumphs have been featured in the comic strip The Order of the Stick. A running joke is that one of a pair of flumphs accidentally serves to cushion the landing of falling characters.
Flumphs in other games
Flumphs appeared in Pathfinder Bestiary 3.
- Turnbull, Don, ed. Fiend Folio (TSR, 1981)
- Pickens, Jon, ed. Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two (TSR, 1995)
- "Box of Flumph – RPGNet RPG Game Index". Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- Hitchcock, Tim. "Box of Flumph." Dungeon #118 (Paizo Publishing, Jan 2005)
- Wizards of the Coast news, 1 April 2006
- Dungeon #165 Dungeon Delve: Fool's Grove by Logan Bonner and Chris Sims
- "Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Fool's Grove)". Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- "Fiend Folio". Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Tomlonovic, B. (May 22, 2014). Twitter / Brent Tomlonovic Ref Q: ACD Open House WotC rep confirms Flumph in Monster Manual. Retrieved July 11, 2014 from 
- "EN World: The Flumph is Back". Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Green, Scott; Peterson, Clark (2002). Tome of Horrors. Necromancer Games. pp. 139–140. ISBN 1-58846-112-2.
- "Kickstarter Update 70: Flumph - not just one, but two!". Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- McComb, Colin, Rob McCreary, and James L. Sutter. Misfit Monsters Redeemed (Paizo, 2010)
- Ewalt, David M. (2013). Of Dice and Men: The Story of Dungeons & Dragons and the People Who Play It. Scribner. p. 1. ISBN 978-1-4516-4052-6.
- Burlew, Richard. "The Order of the Stick: Dungeon Crawlin Fools".  2007
- Richards, Johnathan M. "The Ecology of the Flumph". Dragon #246 (TSR, 1998).
- Roving Band of Misfits. "Why We Should Care About the Flumph (aka Owlbears, WTF?)".  Nov. 2011.
|This Dungeons & Dragons article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|