Fly to the Rainbow
|Fly to the Rainbow|
|Studio album by Scorpions|
|Released||1 November 1974|
|Recorded||1974 at Musicland Studios, Munich, and at Studio Maschen, Germany|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal, krautrock|
|Producer||Scorpions, Frank Bornemann|
|Singles from Fly to the Rainbow|
In support of their Lonesome Crow album, Scorpions appeared as the opening act for the British rock band UFO. At the end of the tour, Scorpions lead guitarist Michael Schenker was asked to fill an open position as UFO's guitarist and accepted the role. Schenker's departure temporarily resulted in the breakup of the band but Rudolf Schenker and later Klaus Meine ultimately merged with the band Dawn Road which consisted of guitarist Ulrich Roth filling Michael's role, as well as drummer Jürgen Rosenthal, and bass guitarist Francis Buchholz. The new line up resumed under the Scorpions name and recorded Fly to the Rainbow.
When asked to comment on the cover art to the album, the band's former lead guitarist Uli Jon Roth said "Don’t ask me what that cover means… I disliked it from the beginning. It looked ludicrous to me back then and looks just as bad today. It was done by a firm of designers in Hamburg, who had actually done a good job on the Lonesome Crow album before, but I think that time they failed miserably. As for the meaning, I can only guess, but I’d rather not…"
|1.||"Speedy's Coming"||Rudolf Schenker, Klaus Meine||3:36|
|2.||"They Need a Million"||R. Schenker, Meine||4:50|
|3.||"Drifting Sun"||Ulrich Roth||7:42|
|4.||"Fly People Fly"||Michael Schenker, Meine||5:03|
|5.||"This Is My Song"||R. Schenker, Meine||4:18|
|6.||"Far Away"||M. Schenker, R. Schenker, Meine||5:38|
|7.||"Fly to the Rainbow"||M. Schenker, Roth||9:40|
- Klaus Meine – lead vocals
- Ulrich Roth – lead guitar, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Drifting Sun" and co lead-vocals in "Fly to the Rainbow"
- Rudolf Schenker – rhythm guitar, backing vocals, lead vocals on "They Need a Million" and "Drifting Sun"
- Francis Buchholz – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Jürgen Rosenthal – drums, percussion
- Michael Schenker – Three songs were co-written with 'departing' guitarist Michael Schenker as part of his 'deal'/promise with the Scorpions for leaving them and joining the U.K. rock band UFO in April of that year.
- Additional musicians
- Mack, Horst Andritschke - engineers
- Rivadavia, Eduardo (2011). "Fly to the Rainbow – Scorpions | AllMusic". allmusic. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- GAJEWSKI, MARCIN (2011). "Teraz Rock | jedyne pismo rockowe w Polsce". terazrock.pl. Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- user DLT (2011). "Scorpions – Fly To The Rainbow (album review) | Sputnikmusic". sputnikmusic.com. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Trunk, Russell A. "Scorpions: Yet Another Sting In The Tale!". Annecarlini.com. Retrieved 12 May 2008.
- Syrjälä, Marko. "Interview with Francis Buchholz". Metal-rules.com. Retrieved 12 May 2008.
- Jeb Wright. "Uli Jon Roth: Surviving the Scorpions Sting". Archived from the original on 13 June 2007. Retrieved 14 July 2007.