The Flygsystem 2020 ("Flight System 2020", internationally abbrevaiated as FS 2020), is an ongoing project by the Swedish Air Force to develop a stealth fighter by 2020. Little public information exists about the project, which might not be possible due to recent defense budget cuts and there are no official statements telling what stage of development that the project has currently reached, although a video on YouTube claims to show a miniature prototype being tested. In 2012, Lieutenant Colonel Lars Helmrich of the Swedish Air Force asked members of the Riksdag to consider the development of a new jet fighter or to upgrade all present JAS 39 multirole fighters to the NG model, claiming that the early versions of the aircraft will be useless by 2020.
Partnership with Turkish Aerospace Industries
During a State visit of the President of Turkey to Sweden on the 13th of March 2013, Türk Havacılık ve Uzay Sanayii AŞ (Turkish Aerospace Industries, TAI) signed an agreement with Sweden's SAAB AG to provide design support services to Turkey for the TFX (Turkey) program.
- Limén, Helene (2007), Rapport från Riksdagen [Report from the Parliament] (in Swedish), Försvarsutskottets ansvarsområde, p. 31, 08:RFR8.
- wellerocks (2010), "Swedish Stealth Fighter Jet", Youtube, Google.
- "Gripen has to be modernized to meet air battles", Nyteknik (SE).
- Erripis, Ioannis K (Apr 15, 2013), "Saab’s new stealth fighter program", Aerospace (Robot pig), "Saab is investigating the design of the next generation fighter that will someday eventually replace the Gripen. […] a small research program that SAAB is conduction with the University of Linköping. […] It looks similar to the Gripen and the main difference is the V-tail".
- Glowacki, Bartosz (Jul 13, 2010), Sweden to advance Generic future fighter concept, "Saab plots bright future for Gripen programme", Flight international (Farnborough: Flight global), "Sweden's decades-long history of innovation in the aerospace sector is also evidenced by its Generic Future Fighter (GFF) concept. Developed by the Fluid and Mechatronic Systems division at Linköping University's department of Management and Engineering, the design has a Gripen-like fuselage with canards and canted tails."
- Nordin, Peter; Jouannet, Christopher; Krus, Petter (Aug 30, 2011), Flumes Flies a Demonstrator of a Generic Future Fighter Aircraft, SE: LIU.
- "Ekonomi" [Economy], Hurriyet (in Turkish) (TR).
- "Bets open on Turkey´s first fighter aircraft", Hurriyet daily news.
- "Turkiye Saab ile masaya otordu" [Saab was on the table with Turkey], Dunya (in Turkish).
- "Turkey to replace F-16s with local jets", Hürriyet daily news.