|Studio album by The Flying Burrito Brothers|
|Producer||Norbert Putnam, Glen Spreen|
|The Flying Burrito Brothers chronology|
After Gram Parsons' death in 1973, posthumous interest in his music grew. This interest caused the band's original label, A&M Records, to release the compilation album Close Up the Honky-Tonks. Since Rick Roberts had dissolved the Flying Burrito Brothers after a brief 1973 European tour with no original members, former manager Eddie Tickner started to think about the possibilities of reviving the band.
After Tickner received booking interest from a number of clubs, founding members "Sneaky" Pete Kleinow and Chris Ethridge agreed to re-form the Burritos. They hired former Byrds drummer Gene Parsons, Joel Scott Hill from Canned Heat, and Gib Guilbeau to round out the "refried" Burritos. Tickner then got the new band a deal with Columbia Records, of which Flying Again was their label debut.
Despite having two original members, the sound of this album is markedly different than the albums released by the original incarnation. The best examples of this are on the tracks "Dim Lights, Thick Smoke (And Loud, Loud Music)" and "Hot Burrito #3". "Dim Lights" is much faster and more rocking than the version recorded by the original lineup that would appear years later. While bassist Chris Ethridge had a significant hand in the writing of Hot Burrito 1 and 2, Part 3 is a jarring departure from the style of the first two episodes. The lyrics are written more as a caricature of the first two. "Building Fires" was released as a single.
- "Easy to Get On" (traditional) – 3:18
- "Wind and Rain" (Gene Parsons, Gib Guilbeau) – 4:28
- "Why Baby Why" (Darrell Edwards, George Jones) – 2:24
- "Dim Lights, Thick Smoke (And Loud, Loud Music)" (Max Fidler, Joe Maphis, Rose Lee Maphis) – 2:16
- "You Left the Water Running" (Oscar Frank, Rick Hall, Dan Penn) – 2:23
- "Building Fires" (Johnny Christopher, Penn) – 4:18
- "Sweet Desert Childhood" (Parsons) – 3:44
- "Bon Soir Blues" (Guilbeau) – 4:11
- "River Road" (Guilbeau) – 2:59
- "Hot Burrito #3" (Chris Ethridge, Guilbeau, Joel Scott Hill, Pete Kleinow, Parsons) – 2:07
- "Sneaky" Pete Kleinow: pedal steel guitar
- Chris Ethridge: bass
- Joel Scott Hill: vocals, guitar
- Gib Guilbeau: vocals, fiddle
- Gene Parsons: vocals, drums, guitar, harmonica