|Studio album by Flyleaf|
|Released||October 4, 2005|
|Genre||Alternative metal, Christian rock, Nu metal|
|Singles from Flyleaf|
|Jesus Freak Hideout|||
|Rock n World|||
Flyleaf is the debut studio album by the American rock band Flyleaf. It was released on October 4, 2005 through Octone Records. A re-packaged CD/DVD special edition was released on October 30, 2007, which included additional acoustic tracks and music videos. The album was re-released on January 14, 2008 through Polydor Records in the United Kingdom, which included three additional acoustic tracks.
Musically, Flyleaf is a Christian alternative rock and hard rock album with heavy influences of nu-metal, emo and heavy metal. While the band's then frontwoman Lacey Sturm prominently sings, her unclean vocals are a frequent throughout the album. Lyrically, the album deals with topics such as Christianity, love and death. Flyleaf received mixed reviews from music critics, who commended its "radio-friendly" yet hardcore sound, but criticized its use of formula. It debuted at No. 88 on the Billboard 200, selling more than 13,000 copies within its first week. Due to the band's growing exposure to fame in 2007, it eventually reached its peak of No. 57 on the week of September 17, 2007, and spent more than 133 weeks on the chart. It also topped the Billboard Christian Albums chart, and has since become the ninth best-selling Christian album of the 2000s. It has sold more than 1 million copies to date, and was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
The album was released October 4, 2005. October 30, 2007 the band re-released this album repackaged as a CD/DVD Special Edition version. The Special Edition re-release has the same tracks as the original release, with the addition of acoustic versions of "Cassie", "Fully Alive", "I'm So Sick", "All Around Me", and Red Sam (which is the only acoustic song not released as a single). The DVD has exclusive interviews with Flyleaf and music videos of "All Around Me", "I'm So Sick" and "Fully Alive". The re-release also came packaged with a free ringtone of "All Around Me" and a "locker" poster. The album was re-released January 14, 2008 in the UK on Polydor Records but with only three additional acoustic tracks.
When A&M Records teamed with Octone Records, the album was re-printed to show the new joint-venture label arrangement. This re-printed version had "Fully Alive" at a length of 2:34, replacing the original 2:48 version, and a different back cover artwork.
The album was hugely publicized on the website Purevolume. "I'm So Sick" appears in the game Rock Band, and "Perfect" appears in the PC/Mac video game Guitar Praise. According to Rolling Stone Magazine, the band is among the 2008 breakout bands, along with Paramore.
- Their first single released was "I'm So Sick".
- Their second single, "Fully Alive", hit radio stations on June 6, 2006.
- Their third and highest charting single is "All Around Me", reaching No. 40 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- Their fourth and fifth singles, "Perfect", and "Sorrow", were then released.
- Their sixth and final seventh singles were "Cassie", and "There for You", in which the latter of the two did not garner much attention.
Flyleaf sold over 13,000 copies of the Special Edition CD/DVD in the first week. They jumped 59 spots on the Billboard Top 200 chart up to No. 62. In the second week of sales for the Special Edition CD/DVD, Flyleaf sold over 10,100 copies. To date, it has sold over 1,000,000 copies in the U.S. certifying it as platinum.
According to Billboard, the album was the ninth best-selling Christian album between the years 2000 and 2009.
All tracks written by Flyleaf, except "Perfect" by Flyleaf and Mark Lewis and "Red Sam", "Breathe Today" and "So I Thought" by Flyleaf and Will Hoffman.
|1.||"I'm So Sick"||3:00|
|7.||"All Around Me"||3:18|
|9.||"There for You"||2:47|
|11.||"So I Thought"||4:50|
|12.||"Tina" (bonus track)||2:34|
This release included all of the standard edition tracks plus acoustic versions of 5 songs from the album.
The album was released as a two-Disc CD/DVD package.
It also included a bonus ringtone of the track "All Around Me" and an exclusive full-color "locker" poster.
|12.||"Fully Alive" (acoustic)||2:15|
|13.||"Red Sam" (acoustic)||3:26|
|15.||"I'm So Sick" (acoustic)||2:59|
|16.||"All Around Me" (acoustic)||3:21|
|1.||"Fully Alive (acoustic)" (video footage)|
|2.||"Red Sam (acoustic)" (video footage)|
|3.||"Cassie (acoustic)" (video footage)|
|4.||"I'm So Sick (acoustic)" (video footage)|
|5.||"All Around Me (acoustic)" (video footage)|
|6.||"All Around Me" (music video)|
|7.||"Fully Alive" (music video)|
|8.||"I'm So Sick" (music video)|
This release included all of the standard edition tracks plus acoustic versions of three songs from the album.
|12.||"Fully Alive" (acoustic)||2:41|
|13.||"All Around Me" (acoustic)||3:21|
Charts and awards
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
|The Billboard 200||57|
|Top Rock Albums||12|
|Top Christian Albums||1|
|Top Digital Albums||71|
|Top Alternative Albums||11|
|Top Hard Rock Albums||5|
|2009 BMI Pop Award Winning Song - All Around Me|
- Lacey Mosley - lead vocals
- Pat Seals - bass guitar
- Sameer Bhattacharya - lead guitar
- Jared Hartmann - rhythm guitar
- James Culpepper - drums, percussion
- Dave Navarro - additional guitar on "There For You"
- Ryan White of Resident Hero - background vocals on "Cassie," "So I Thought," and "Red Sam"
- Howard Benson - producer, keyboards and programming
- Mike Plotnikoff - mixing
- Leon Zervos & Chris Athens - Mastering at Sterling Sound, NY
- James Diener & Ben Berkman - A&R
- Mike Plotnikoff - recording
- Recorded at
- Bay 7 Studios
- Valley Village
- Sparky Dark Studio, Calabasas, CA
- Mixed at
- Scream Studios, Studio City, CA
- Chalice Studios, LA
- Hatsukazu Inagaki, Alex Uychocde - assistant engineering
- Paul Decarli - Protools editing
- Jon at Drum Fetish - drum technician
- Keith Nelson - guitar technician
- 7S - art direction
- Sam Erickson, Stephen Albanese - photography
- Cole Rise - cover photography
- Shannon Ronique Neall - angel illustration
- Allmusic review
- "Flyleaf, "Flyleaf" Review". Jesusfreakhideout.com. 2005-10-04. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- About.com review
- Spuutnikmusic review
- "Music Albums, Top 200 Albums & Music Album Charts". Billboard.com. 2009-12-31. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- "2009 BMI Pop Awards Award Winning Songs | Press". BMI.com. 2009-05-19. Retrieved 2011-10-12.