March 8, 1947 |
|Practice||Rafii Architects Inc.|
|Projects||Scotia Theatres Complex (Paramont Place)- Vancouver
Spring (Austin, Texas)
Stella, Nova, Luna (Calgary)
Waterfront Complex (Calgary)
Longwood (Nanaimo, BC)
Foad is a graduate of Alborz High School (Old American College) in Tehran, who received his master’s degree in architecture with Distinction from the University of Tehran, School of Architecture in 1972.
In 1987, he completed work on “Urban Waterfront Development” at the Harvard Graduate School of Design.
In 1973 together with some colleague friends he started the consulting firm ORBIS Institute for Environmental Design, Foad being the Managing Director.
While practicing in Tehran, in addition to multiple residential projects, he worked on two major department stores and a few hospitals.
Foad moved to Vancouver in 1979, and after working for an architectural firm for a couple of years, established his practice in 1983. The name of the practice was changed to Rafii Architects in 1985.
“The Greater Vancouver Book”, an urban encyclopedia- The year 1997- notes: Iranian Architects like Foad Rafii, who designed the first buildings constructed on the North shore of False Creek after Expo 86 and the new mixed use Woodward’s building Downtown, have made and are continuing to make a significant impact on the changing face of Vancouver. The Woodward's Building project was abandoned later, as a result of the sale of the property from the province of British Columbia to the City of Vancouver.
Award Winning Projects
- Texo, Distinguished Building Award - Spring (building) Condominiums - Austin - Texas - 2010
- Georgie Award - Gold - For Best Multifamily High Rise – Donovan Residential Tower - Vancouver - 2009
- UDI Award - For Best Residential High Rise – Pomaria Tower - Vancouver - 2007
- CARE Gold Project of the Year Award - Coniston + Stonecroft Low Rise Residentials - Nanaimo – 2001
- Georgie Award - Gold - Best Multifamily Low Rise – 18 trees - Burnaby - 2000
- British Columbia Heritage Award – Camelia Residential Tower - North Vancouver - 1993
- The Story of Woodward's Building- City of Vancouver Website - http://vancouver.ca/bps/realestate/woodwards/story.htm
- Spring (building) Austin's First Point Tower - Spring's official Website - http://www.springaustin.com/tower/63.html
- Wikipedia Article - List of tallest buildings in Austin
- Alberta association of Architects
- "Foad Rafii". Architectural Institute of British Columbia. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada
- The Vancouver Sun- Headline News - Saturday, November 24th, 2001
- "Condo project largest in Calgary's history". canada.com. 2008-04-05. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "foad-universityofoslo.jpg". www.rafiiarchitects.com. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- "Projects in Vanvcouver". Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- Journal of Commerce-Monday, September1st, 2003
- The Vancouver Sun- Best of B.C., Section E, Saturday, January 27th, 2001
- "Congratulations to TEXO’s Distinguished Award Winners". Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "On Downtown Housing, Austin should follow Vancouver’s lead". Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- The Greater Vancouver book, an urban encyclopedia-Chuck Davis Editor-in-Chief-p.322-1997
- http://canadianbuildersquarterly.com/2010/09/fall-2009/ pages 54 and 55
- "rafii-texo-spring.jpg". www.rafiiarchitects.com. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- "rafii-udi-pomaria1.jpg". www.rafiiarchitects.com. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- "rafii-chba-care.jpg". www.rafiiarchitects.com. Retrieved 2011-04-22.
- "CHBABC - 2000 Winners". Canadian Homebuilders' Association. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "rafii-georgie-18trees.jpg". www.rafiiarchitects.com. Retrieved 2011-04-22.