|Fw Project VII Flitzer|
|Wartime model of the Project VII design|
|Number built||One mock-up built and a few prototype sub-assemblies completed|
The design began as Focke-Wulf Project VI which had a central fuselage and two booms carrying the rear control surfaces having great similarity with the de Havilland Vampire. Project V had the air inlets still positioned on either side of the nose, just below the cockpit.
The estimated horizontal speed was not satisfactory and in the next development, Project VII, the jet intakes were situated in the wing roots. Further improvements over Project VI were a narrower fuselage and a changed pilot's canopy. In order to improve the rate of climb, a Walter HWK 109-509 liquid rocket was built-in. In spite of the fact that a complete mock-up was built and all construction and assembly plans finished, the aircraft was not accepted by the RLM (Reich Air Ministry, or Reichsluftfahrtministerium).
Specifications (design draft of 15 September 1944)
Data from
- Crew: one pilot
- Length: 10.55 m (34 ft 7 in)
- Wingspan: 8.00 m (26 ft 3 in)
- Height: 2.35 m (7 ft 8 in)
- Wing area: 17.0 m2 (183 ft2)
- Empty weight: 2,730 kg (6,018 lb)
- Gross weight: 4,350 kg (9,589 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × BMW 003 turbojet, 14.7 kN (3,306 lbf) thrust
- 1 × Walter HWK 109-509 rocket, 16.7 kN (3,750 lbf) thrust
- Maximum speed: 955 km/h (593 mph)
- Endurance: 1 hours 50 min
- Service ceiling: 13,000 m (42,500 ft)
- Rate of climb: 18.2 m/s (3,600 ft/min)
- Masters, David (1982). German Jet Genesis. London: Jane's Publishing.
- Schick, Walter; Ingolf Meyer (1997). Luftwaffe Secret Projects: Fighters 1939-1945. Hinckley: Midland Publishing. pp. 143–44.
- Smith, J. R. (1973). Focke-Wulf: An Aircraft Album. London: Ian Allan.
- Smith, J. R.; A. Kay (1972). German Aircraft of the Second World War. London: Putnam.
- Wagner, Wolfgang (1980). Kurt Tank: Konstruckteur und Test Pilot bei Focke-Wulf. Munich: Bernard and Graefe.
- Focke-Wulf Project VII Flitzer
- Myhra, David (1998). Secret Aircraft Designs of the Third Reich. Atglen: Schiffer. pp. 141–42.
- Lens, K.; H. J. Nowarra (1964). Die Deutschen Flugzeuge. Munich: J F Lehmans Verlag.
- Nowarra, Heinz (1983). Die deutsche Luftrüstung 1933-1945. Bonn: Bernard and Graefe. pp. Teil 2, p.117.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Focke-Wulf Flitzer.|
- Proyectos inconclusos de la aeronáutica alemana de la S.G.M. (In Spanish)
- Lufwaffe Projects (In Russian)