Fons Rademakers in 1961
5 September 1920|
|Died||22 February 2007
|Years active||1924 - 1964|
During a career spanning several decades he directed 11 films, including The Assault, which won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1986, and The Village on the River, nominated for the same award in 1959. Making him both the first Dutch director to be nominated and win this award.
He died in 2007 in a Geneva hospital of emphysema, after the life-support machines were switched off at his request.
- The Village on the River (Dorp aan de rivier) (1958)
- Makkers Staakt uw Wild Geraas (1960)
- The Knife (Het Mes) (1961)
- Like Two Drops of Water (Als twee druppels water) (1963)
- The Dance of the Heron (De dans van de reiger) (1966)
- Mira (1971)
- Because of the Cats (1973)
- Max Havelaar (Max Havelaar of de koffieveilingen der Nederlandsche handelsmaatschappij) (1976)
- Lifespan (1976)
- The Judge's Friend (Mijn vriend) (1979)
- Vrijdag (1981)
- The Assault (1986)
- The Rose Garden (Der Rosengarten) (1989)
- "Berlinale 1961: Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2010-01-23.
- "The 32nd Academy Awards (1960) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-10-27.
- "Dutch director Rademakers dies". bbc.co.uk. February 23, 2007. Retrieved 2010-01-23.