||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009)|
Bentley in December 2010
|Birth name||Derrick Watkins|
|Also known as||Fonzworth Bentley, Farnsworth Bentley|
February 13, 1974 |
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.
|Origin||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Occupations||Rapper, record producer, actor, television host, fashion designer, singer|
|Associated acts||Sean Combs, Outkast, will.i.am, Andre 3000, Kanye West|
Derrick Watkins (born February 13, 1974), better known as Fonzworth Bentley or Farnsworth Bentley, is a musician and author. He is perhaps best known for being Sean Combs' former personal valet and assistant, as first seen in Making the Band 2, and is currently the host of MTV's From G's to Gents. His first single, "Everybody", features Kanye West and Andre 3000. He was born in Atlanta, Georgia.
He first appeared rapping on Da Band's 2002 album Too Hot for TV, in the track "Cheers to Me, Mr. Bentley (Interlude)". In 2003, Bentley was featured on the "Good Day, Good Sir" skit on OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. In 2004, he had a role in the music video of Kanye West's "The New Workout Plan".
Bentley has appeared in several music videos, such as Usher's "Yeah", P. Diddy's "D.I.D.D.Y." and "I Need A Girl (Part Two)", Slum Village's "Selfish", OutKast's "The Way You Move" and "Roses", as well as UGK and Outkast's "International Player's Anthem". He made a brief appearance in the music video for "Grammy Family", by West, DJ Khaled, John Legend and Consequence.
Other media work
Bentley was an executive producer for Borrow My Crew in 2005, in which he allowed one boy, Cory Cole, to borrow the entourage of P. Diddy for two days. Since 2008, he has been hosting the MTV series From G's to Gents.
In 2007, Bentley contributed to KnowHow2GO, a national public service advertising campaign designed to encourage low-income and first-generation students to take the steps necessary to go to college. Bentley's involvement in the campaign has included creation of a radio public service advertisement ("Wanna Go?") and participation in the 2007 YMCA Black and Hispanic Achievers Teen Leadership Summit in Orlando, Florida. KnowHow2GO is a joint effort between The Ad Council, Lumina Foundation for Education and the American Council on Education. Recently, Bentley sang as a member of the chorus for "We Are The World", a remake of the original for Haiti, in February 2010; it aired during the start of the Olympic Games in Vancouver, Canada.
- From G's to Gents (2008–09)
- Top Ten Gentlemen's Club (2008)
- Confessions of a Celebrity Assistant (2006, the E! Channel)
- VH1 Fashion Rocks (2006)
- All Shades of Fine: 25 Hottest Women of the Past 25 Years (2005)
- P. Diddy Presents the Bad Boys of Comedy (2005)
- Caleta Condor, Chile (2005)
- Before, During and After the Sunset (2005)
- Borrow My Crew (2005)
- Fade to Black (2004)
- Making the Band 2 (2002–2003, series)
- House Party (1991) - Uncredited
- Honey (2003) - Barber
- Fat Albert (2003) - Salesman
- Idlewild (2006) - Voice of Flask
- We Were Once A Fairytale - cameo appearance
- Fonzworth Bentley Biography.www.imdb.com
- Khan, Nida (2007-10-22). "Derrick Watkins is all about the etiquette". The Seattle Times (The Seattle Times Company). Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "Fonzworth Bentley Shows his C.O.L.O.U.R.S. As Hip Hop Artist". vibe.com.
- Amie Parnes. "MTV host enters NW gate" Politico 44
- "Teens from Minneapolis Take Home Top Honors in the KnowHow2GO Radio PSA Contest".