Food Network (Canada)
Food Network logo
|Launched||October 9, 2000|
|Owned by||Shaw Media (80.16% & managing partner)
Scripps Networks Interactive (19.84%)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Bell TV||Channel 603 (SD)
Channel 1706 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 561 (SD)
Channel 268 (HD)
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|FibreOP||Channel 270 (SD)
Channel 419 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 603 (SD)
Channel 1603 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 135 (SD)
Channel 1135 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 143 (SD)
Channel 689 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 103 (SD)
Channel 403 (HD)
Food Network is a Canadian English language Category A specialty channel with programming related to food, cooking, cuisine, and the food industry. Food Network is a joint venture between Shaw Media and Scripps Networks Interactive.
Before the launch of Food Network Canada, the American service, Food Network was available in Canada since 1997. Food Network became one of the more popular foreign cable channels available in Canada, which prompted the creation of a Canadian version of the American service, which would then be able to access ad revenue through commercials under Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) regulations.
The licence for Food Network Canada was approved by the CRTC in early 2000. The channel was launched in October of that year; on the day of the launch, the American service was removed from the list of foreign channels eligible to be broadcast in Canada.
On October 27, 2010, ownership changed again as Shaw Communications gained control of Food Network as a result of its acquisition of Canwest and Goldman Sachs' interest in CW Media. On March 4, 2013, Corus Entertainment announced the sale of its 22.58% ownership interest in Food Network to Shaw Media, in exchange for Shaw's 49% stake in ABC Spark. The sale closed in April 2013.
Food Network HD
- Cuisine of Canada
- Food Network
- List of Food Network Canada personalities
- List of programs broadcast by Food Network Canada
- "Shaw Communications closes purchase of Canwest TV assets, rebrands as Shaw Media". Therecord.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "CRTC approves Shaw’s purchase of the Canwest Global television properties". Crtc.gc.ca. 2010-10-22. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- BCE to sell assets to Corus as part of Astral deal, The Globe and Mail (via Reuters and The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Receives CRTC Approval on TELETOON Canada Inc., Historia and Séries+ Acquisitions". Corusent.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- Food Network Canada looking better than ever Shaw Media press release 2011-10-05
- Food Network Canada
- Adams, Liz; Food Network cooks up Canadian menu; Strategy Magazine; 07/17/2000.
- Decision CRTC 2000-217; CRTC; 07/04/2000.