|Directed by||Lawrence Kasanoff|
|Produced by||Lawrence Kasanoff
Jimmy Ienner (executive producer)
Gregory Cascante (co-executive producer)
Daniel K.S. Su (co-executive producer)
Robert D. Cain (co-executive producer)
|Written by||Brent Friedman
Sean Catherine Derek
|Story by||Lawrence Kasanoff
Eva Longoria Parker
|Music by||Walter Murphy|
|Editing by||Ray Mupas
|Distributed by||Lions Gate Entertainment (Proposed Distributor)
Boulevard Entertainment (UK)
Viva Pictures (USA)
|Running time||87 minutes|
Foodfight! is a 2012 computer animated family film produced by Threshold Entertainment and directed by Larry Kasanoff. The film features the voices of Charlie Sheen, Hilary Duff, Wayne Brady and Eva Longoria. It was originally planned for a Christmas 2003 release and was pushed to late 2005. Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company/International Film Guarantors were set to auction off the film and all associated rights in September 2011, to settle C47 Productions and Threshold Animation Studios defaulted loan for the film.
Foodfight! takes place in the supermarket at night after everyone has left. The grocery store transforms into a city, and from every door of this city comes two types of characters: well-known marketing icons and new characters, including Dex Dogtective (Charlie Sheen), Sunshine Goodness (Hilary Duff) and Daredevil Dan (Wayne Brady). They all hang out at the Copa-Banana in the produce section. Soon, Brand X moves into town, and Lady X (Eva Longoria) and her minions try to take over. The animated icons and fictional characters of products — like Mr. Clean and Charlie the Tuna — fight the evil "Brand X".
- Charlie Sheen as Dex Dogtective
- Hilary Duff as Sunshine Goodness
- Eva Longoria as Lady X
- Wayne Brady as Daredevil Dan
- Christopher Lloyd as Mr. Clipboard
- Chris Kattan as Polar Penguin
- Larry Miller as Vlad Chocool
- Ed Asner as Mr. Leonard
- Jerry Stiller as General X
- Christine Baranski as Hedda Shopper
- Lawrence Kasanoff as Cheasel T. Weasel
- Harvey Fierstein as Fat Cat Burglar
- Cloris Leachman as Brand X Lunch Lady
- Haylie Duff as Sweetcakes
- Shelley Morrison as Lola Fruitola
- Edie McClurg as Mrs. Butterworth
- George Johnsen as Kaptain Krispy
- Greg Ellis as Hairy Hold
- James Arnold Taylor as Doctor Si Nustrix
- Bobby Costanza as Maximillus Moose
- Jeff Glen Bennett as Lieutenant X
- Stephen Stanton as Mr. Clean (deleted scene) and Lord Flushington
- Jeff Bergman as Charlie Tuna
- Karen Gallo Messore as Blue
- Sean Catherine Derek as the Toddler's Mom
- Enn Reitel as Kung Tofu and Francois Fromage
- Daniel Franzese as Twinkleton
- Eliza Jane Sheider as the Sweet Older Lady
- Jason Ortenberg, Zachary Liebreich-Johnsen, Andrew Ortenberg and Jennifer Keith as the Ike Kids
- Joshua Wexler, George Johnsen, Jason Harris and Greg Eagles as the Hairless Hamster Henchmen
- Additional voices are provided by Melissa Disney, Jennifer Keith, Bob Bergen, Susan Silo, Daniel Bernhardt, Jeff Glen Bennett, Stephen Stanton, James Arnold Taylor and John Bloom.
The film was created and produced by the digital effects shop at Threshold Entertainment. In late 2002-early 2003, Larry Kasanoff reported that hard drives containing film files had been stolen in what he called an act of "industrial espionage". A release date in 2005 was later announced, but missed. Another distribution deal was struck in 2007, but again, nothing came of it. Finally, in 2011, the film was auctioned for $2.5 million.
In June 2012, Foodfight! received a limited release in the United Kingdom, grossing £13,003 on its opening weekend, and it was released on DVD in Europe that October. In February 2013, the film was released on VOD and was released on DVD in the United States in May 2013.
At the time Foodfight! was announced, the film was denounced for taking product placement to the extreme, and doing it in a film targeted at children. The AV Club stated that "...the grotesque ugliness of the animation alone would be a deal-breaker even if the film weren’t also glaringly inappropriate in its sexuality, nightmare-inducing in its animation, and filled with Nazi overtones and iconography even more egregiously unfit for children than the script’s wall-to-wall gauntlet of crude double entendres and weird intimations of interspecies sex."
|This article uses citations that link to broken or outdated sources. (December 2012)|
- "UK Box Office: 15 - 17 June 2012". UK Film Council. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- Foodfight! International Box Office listing at BoxofficeMojo
- Eisenberg, Daniel. Time, 2 September 2002, "It's an Ad, Ad, Ad World". Accessed 23 August 2011.
- Taub, Eric A. New York Times, 17 May 2004, "For This Animated Movie, A Cast of Household Names". Accessed 23 August 2011.
- DeMott, Rick. Animation World Network, 23 September 2011. "Foodfight Animated Feature Up for Auction". Accessed 24 November 2011.
- The Hollywood Reporter, 23 September 2011. "NOTICE OF PUBLIC SALE - ANIMATED FEATURE MOTION PICTURE: 'FOODFIGHT'".
- "Official website".
- TDRL Pursues Paradigm Shift With Foodfight!
- Official cast list. Accessed December 23, 2009.
- "Foodfight! Cast". Allrovi. Retrieved June 4, 2011.
- Mallory, Michael (May 31, 2012). "The Long, Strange Odyssey of 'Foodfight!'". Animation Magazine. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- Beck, Jerry (7 May 2012). ""Foodfight!" Coming To DVD". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved 15 May 2012. "The latest word is that England’s Boulevard Entertainment has picked up the rights for DVD – in Europe."
- "Foodfight!". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Twinkies Live On -- in Film! Foodfight Will Hit Screens in 2013 From Viva Pictures". Marketwire. 19 November 2012. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Foodfight! (2012)". Amazon.com. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- Commercial Alert Criticizes Movie-Length Ad Targeted at Kids
- Rabin, Nathan (February 27, 2013) Supermarket Brands Sponsored Case File #34: Foodfight!, The AV Club, retrieved April 17, 2013
- Archive of Official website . Original url http://www.thresholdanimationstudios.com/foodfight.html
- Foodfight! at the Internet Movie Database
- Foodfight! at Rotten Tomatoes
- Foodfight! at Box Office Mojo
- Publicity Still
- Archive of Information at Threshold Entertainment website. Original url http://www.thethreshold.com/Threshold_foodfight.html