Fool for Love (film)
|Fool for Love|
|Directed by||Robert Altman|
|Written by||Sam Shepard|
Harry Dean Stanton
|Music by||George Burt|
|Edited by||Stephen P. Dunn
|Distributed by||Cannon Group|
Fool for Love is a 1985 drama directed by Robert Altman. The film stars Sam Shepard, who also wrote both the original play and the adaptation's screenplay, alongside Kim Basinger, Harry Dean Stanton, Randy Quaid and Martha Crawford. It was entered into the 1986 Cannes Film Festival. It was filmed in Las Vegas,NM. The house used for several scenes was 1001 7th st.
May (Kim Basinger) is hiding out at an old motel in the Southwest. An old flame and childhood friend, Eddie (Sam Shepard) shows up. He threatens to metaphorically and at times, literally, drag her back into the life she had fled from. The film focuses on the couple's fluctuating past and present relationships, and the dark secrets hidden within, including one from an old man who lives near the motel (Harry Dean Stanton).
- Sam Shepard - Eddie
- Kim Basinger - May
- Harry Dean Stanton - Old Man
- Randy Quaid - Martin
- Martha Crawford - May's Mother
- Louise Egolf - Eddie's Mother
- Sura Cox - Teenage May
- Jonathan Skinner - Teenage Eddie
- April Russell - Young May
- Deborah McNaughton - The Countess
- Lon Hill - Mr. Valdes
The film received average reviews, though was praised by several high profile critics, like Roger Ebert, who said, 'With "Fool for Love," he (Altman) has succeeded on two levels that seem opposed to each other. He has made a melodrama, almost a soap opera, in which the characters achieve a kind of nobility.'
- Fool for Love (play) - the original 1983 play, often considered part of a quintet with Shephard's other works.
- Andrew Yule, Hollywood a Go-Go: The True Story of the Cannon Film Empire, Sphere Books, 1987 p189
- "Festival de Cannes: Fool for Love". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- http://www.rattlerecords.com/artist.htm Sandy Rogers website
|This 1980s drama film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|