Foothill High School (Pleasanton, California)
|Foothill High School|
|4375 Foothill Rd.
Pleasanton, CA 94588
|Website||Foothill HS Home Page|
Foothill High School (FHS) is a four-year secondary school in Pleasanton, California. It was built in 1973. It is one of two comprehensive high schools and two alternative high schools in the Pleasanton Unified School District. The current enrollment is 2,343 students. The school mascot is the falcon and the official rival school is Amador Valley High School. The school colors are gold and royal blue. FHS was recognized in 2001 as a California Distinguished School and a 2002 National Blue Ribbon California Nominee. In addition, FHS was a 2006 winner of the National Blue Ribbon Award.
The Foothill Football program is one of prestige in Northern California. Matt Sweeney, the long time head varsity coach, has lead the Falcons to a record of 236-83-5 since 1987 when he took over. He has also lead them to four CIF North Coast Section Football Championships, as well as fourteen East Bay Athletic League titles. This is especially impressive as the EBAL is considered one of the toughest football divisions in all of California. In the 2014 season the Falcons were a top-25 team in the state and a top-200 team nationally, as they won the EBAL title once again, reclaiming their top spot. Coach Sweeney is known as one of the most tough and old-school coaches in the Bay Area, but his lessons on toughness and discipline have effected notable Foothill Football Alumni such as:
- Brandon Crawford, shortstop for the San Francisco Giants
- Sean Mannion (American football), starting quarterback for the Oregon State Beavers
- Raymond Hudson, TE for the California Golden Bears
- Amnesty International
- Art Club
- Artistic Movement Club
- ASB (Associated Student Body) / Leadership
- ASL (American Sign Language) Club
- Badminton Club
- Baking Club
- Bhangra Club
- California Scholarship Federation (CSF) Club
- Chinese Yo-Yo Club
- Crochet/Origami Club
- Debate-Parliamentary Club
- Debanik's Club
- DECA Club
- Do Something Club
- Earth Club
- Engineering Club
- Fashion Club
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Fight for Life Club
- Film Club
- Film Making Club
- FISH Club
- Fitness Club
- Flautists' Musique
- Foothill Buddies Club
- Foothill Robotics Club
- FPPN (Future Practicing Physicians Network)
- French Club
- Future Civic Leaders Club
- Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA) Club
- German Club
- Harry Potter Club
- Healthy Food and Lifestyle
- Hip Hop Club
- Interact Club
- Japanese Club
- Junior State Of America (JSA) Club
- Key Club
- Latin Club
- Latino Leadership Club
- Math Club
- Mu Alpha Theta (Math Team)
- Multicultural Club
- Mural Painting
- Muslim Student Association Club
- National Honors Society Club
- Operation Smile Club
- Our Movement Club
- Peer Tutoring
- Philosophy Club
- Red Rhino Orphanage Club
- S (Community Service) Club
- Science Olympiad Club
- Spanish Club
- Student Filmmaker Association
- Teens For Literacy Club
- True Blue Club
- Tupe Club
- Uganda Club
- Ultimate Frisbee Club
- UNICEF Club
- Upbeat Chamber Club
- WISER Club
- Writers Club
- Yoga Club
Foothill High Amnesty International (FHAI) is a student chapter within the global nonprofit human rights organization, Amnesty International. The club is dedicated to raising awareness and advocating for human rights, with various different campaigns and actions. Notable guest speakers visit each year to speak to the members of the chapter, such as government officials, Amnesty International Country Representatives and representatives of various human rights organizations. Student activists of FHAI also have the opportunity to lobby at Congressional Offices and participate in demonstrations. Members actively participate in events and projects, working to educate the community about present human rights issues and provide individuals with a way to take action to fight injustice.
As a high school division of Rotary International, Interact works hard to support the community, United States, and countries all over the world. Every year the club chooses a charity to direct their efforts towards. In the 2009-2010 school year, Interact raised money and volunteered for End Polio Now. In the 2010-2011 school year, the club is working hard to raise money for Shelter Box. Shelter Box is a non-profit organization that provides emergency survival kits after natural disasters. In addition to helping the global community, Interact members are required to do ten hours of philanthropy within the community.
The Foothill Latin Club fosters the learning of the Latin language and of Roman culture by providing language help, preparing students for the National Latin Exam, and participating in competitive quiz-bowl tournaments called Certamen. The club is a recognized chapter in the California and National Junior Classical League. From the fall of 2008 to the summer of 2012, Jack Reed was the President of the Latin Club. At the 2011 California Junior Classical League State Convention, the club won "First Place Chapter Statewide" in the Small School division, and the Latin 3 Certamen team placed in the top three in the state. At the 2012 Convention, the club was awarded the "Best New Chapter" in the state and again won "First Place Chapter Statewide" in the Small School division. The Latin 2 Certamen team won second place in state, and the Latin 1 Certamen team ranked third in state.
Classes are offered in Marching Band, Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, Auxiliary Units, and Percussion. The Foothill Band provides many Performance opportunities for its students, including: home football games, band reviews, special performance opportunities, tours, jazz festivals, concert festivals, and hosting the Foothill Band Review and Field Show Competition.
In the past 32 years, the band has won nearly 1,000 Sweepstakes awards and 1st place trophies. The Foothill marching band competes in the Northern California Band Association (NCBA) circuit.
Past Foothill Band performances include a tour of England on New Year's Day in 1995, where the band set a Guinness World Book record for the longest distance a marching band has played. Among the Band's other achievements are a tour of Nice, France, five performances at the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade, performances in Hawaii,Canada, the Fiesta and Sun Bowls, Southern California, and the Portland Rose Festival Parade.
In 2007, Foothill took Grand Champion at the Fiesta Bowl Parade with 1st in Music, Marching, Drum Major, General Effect, and Auxiliary.
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (May 2011)|
- Paula Creamer, professional golfer on the LPGA
- Gabrielle Union, actress and former model
- Ryan Roxie, former guitarist for Alice Cooper
- Keith Millard, former NFL defensive tackle and current defensive line coach for the NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Brad Bergesen, starting pitcher for the MLB Baltimore Orioles
- Rob Williams, host of the The Rob, Arnie, and Dawn Show in Sacramento, CA
- Brandon Crawford, infielder for the MLB, three-time World Series champion San Francisco Giants 
- Sean Mannion (American football), starting quarterback for OSU
Ranked number 408 on Newsweek's 2008 list of the 1,300 Top U.S. Schools. Out of over 26,000 public high schools ranked by U.S. news in 2014, Foothill High School was ranked 327th in terms of academics and college readiness.
- School Level Enrollment Reports
- Staff. "2003/2004 Fiesta Bowl National Band Championship and Fiesta Bowl Parade". fiestabands.com. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "Keith Millard". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Brad Bergesen Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Brandon Crawford Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Sean Mannion". CBS Interactive. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com
- Foothill High School Site
- Foothill High School Marching Band Website
- PUSD District Site
- Satellite View from Google Maps