For The Gambia Our Homeland
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013)|
National anthem of Gambia
|Lyrics||Virginia Julia Howe|
|Music||Jeremy Frederic Howe|
"For The Gambia Our Homeland" is the national anthem of the Gambia, written by Virginia Julia Howe and composed by Jeremy Frederic Howe (based on the traditional Mandinka song Foday Kaba Dumbuya). It was adopted after an international competition to produce an anthem (and flag) before independence in 1965.
The English lyrics are as follows:
- For The Gambia, our homeland
- We strive and work and pray,
- That all may live in unity,
- Freedom and peace each day.
- Let justice guide our actions
- Towards the common good,
- And join our diverse peoples
- To prove man's brotherhood.
- We pledge our firm allegiance,
- Our promise we renew;
- Keep us, great God of nations,
- To The Gambia ever true.
- For The Gambia Our Homeland - Audio of the national anthem of The Gambia, with information and lyrics
- National anthem of The Gambia MIDI