For Your Entertainment (song)
|"For Your Entertainment"|
|Single by Adam Lambert|
|from the album For Your Entertainment|
|Released||October 27, 2009
(see release history)
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Recorded||September 2009–October 2009 in Los Angeles, California|
|Writer(s)||Claude Kelly, Lukasz Gottwald|
|Adam Lambert singles chronology|
"For Your Entertainment" is the debut mainstream single by American recording artist and American Idol season eight runner-up Adam Lambert. It is also the title track to his debut studio album, For Your Entertainment. The song was released commercially on November 3, 2009 and was written by Claude Kelly and Dr. Luke. It was a top 5 hit in Finland, Japan and the US dance club chart. Lambert gave a very controversial performance of the song at the 2009 American Music Awards which caused complaints from the Parents Television Council and forced ABC to nix Lambert's scheduled performance on Good Morning America. A remixed version of the song was added to the set list of Lambert's first concert tour, the 2010 Glam Nation Tour as the show's opening. The actual song was only performed on the Asian and Australian legs of the tour right after the song "Voodoo".
On October 28, 2009, Lambert announced via Twitter that his lead single from his debut album would be "For Your Entertainment", a song that was produced by Dr. Luke. The following day, Lambert announced that the single would debut on Ryan Seacrest's radio show on October 30, 2009.
The song received mostly positive reviews. Huffington Post noted that this song is a "full-display" of album that "operates from a disco/glam aesthetic of escapism and liberation via dance, dress-up, and desire" and added that it "fully accomplish what the singer had in mind for the album: songs that make you want to let loose, dance, work out, have fun." Allmusic called this song "cool" and "strutting" and marked it as one of highlights of album. Entertainment Weekly opined that "peacocking title track" "follows duly fulfills its pledge (Entertained? Synth-ertained!)". Detroit News called this song "pulsating" and praised the vocals "[singer is] somehow cramming every musical note into one banshee wail." Chicago Tribune wrote that song "promises to “get rough with you". Boston editor Sarah Rodman noted that this "less-than-compelling wink-wink, Britney-evoking throb-pop" track doesn't have enough time to adjust itself from opening track.  Rolling Stone wasn't very positive by calling it "less successful" and comparing it: "similar to Sam Sparro's "Black and Gold" that 19 Entertainment should probably keep a strong legal team on retainer."
"For Your Entertainment" made its live debut at the American Music Awards on November 22, 2009, at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, California, which aired on ABC. The performance caused controversy due to Lambert acting too provocative on stage by aggressively grinding on his male dancers and making out with his keyboardist. The Parents Television Council slammed the performance as being sexualized, and urged viewers to complain to the FCC if living in an area where the performance was shown before 10 p.m. local time. However, Lambert's performance reportedly was broadcast around 11 p.m. Eastern and Pacific time, "outside the FCC's usual 6am-10pm time frame". The performance drew 1,500 complaints to ABC, many of which probably came from the PTC. As a result, ABC announced that Lambert would not performing on Good Morning America on November 25 as planned. CBS subsequently invited Lambert to perform instead on The Early Show on the same date in New York City.
Lambert told Rolling Stone magazine, "Female performers have been doing this for years — pushing the envelope about sexuality — and the minute a man does it, everybody freaks out. We're in 2009 — it's time to take risks, be a little more brave, time to open people's eyes and if it offends them, then maybe I'm not for them. My goal was not to piss people off, it was to promote freedom of expression and artistic freedom."
Lambert then went on a series of promotional interviews and performances to address the controversy, clear up rumors, discuss his rapid rise to fame, and promote the album. He was interviewed on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The View, and The Oprah Winfrey Show.
Song as promo
Starting December 22, Fox began using "For Your Entertainment" as the official song highlighting their January television show line-up. E! Network in February 2010 aired a commercial promoting their television line-up with a remix of "For Your Entertainment". It was also featured in an advertisement for 4music in the United Kingdom in 2010. In addition, the BBC used it in a montage of the 'best and worst of the crucible 2010'.
- Digital download
- "For Your Entertainment" – 3:35
- Remixes (Part of Remixes album)
- "For Your Entertainment" (Bimbo Jones Vocal Mix) - 6:29
- "For Your Entertainment" (Brad Walsh Remix) - 4:56
The music video premiered on Lambert's official website on November 24, 2009. It was directed by Ray Kay. The video was filmed in a one-day shoot, on November 15 at The Alexandria, an old hotel which is now an apartment building in downtown Los Angeles.
The video opens with a nighttime street level shot in a city. As the camera pans down below the ground, Lambert is shown walking into an underground club, filled with scantily clad men and women. As he begins singing, he walks through the crowd and interacts and dances with others. Mixed with dancing are close up shots of Lambert and various dancers. Towards the end of the song, Lambert begins to play with his band and the video shows everyone in the club dancing. As the song ends, the camera pans back up to the street level where life is continuing on, completely oblivious of what is going on below the streets.
|United States||October 27, 2009||Digital download|
|Belgium||October 31, 2009||Digital download|
|Sweden||November 2, 2009|
|United States||November 3, 2009||Mainstream airplay|
|Spain||November 3, 2009||Digital download|
|Italy||November 6, 2009||Digital download|
|Finland||November 9, 2009||Digital download|
|Australia||December 4, 2009||Digital download|
|Austria||November 13, 2009||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||April 23, 2010||Digital download|
"For Your Entertainment" debuted at number 84 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 for the chart week of November 28, 2009. That same week, the song also debuted at number 33 on the Canadian Hot 100. In March, the song was also featured as a VIP Track on the UK's 4Music, prior to the album's upcoming release the end of April. To date, the song has been the most successful in Canada and New Zealand, where it achieved Platinum and Gold status respectively (see below). The song has sold approximately 333,000 digital downloads.
"For Your Entertainment" entered the UK Singles Chart on May 2, 2010 at number 39. In its second week in the chart, the single remained at number 39; in its third week, it climbed two more places to its peak, number 37.
- [dead link]
- "Gold and Platinum". Cria.ca. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- Huffington Post album review Retrieved 25 December 2014
- Review by Allmusic Retrieved 25 December 2014
- Review by Entertainment Weekly Retrieved 25 December 2014
- Review by Detroit News Retrieved 25 December 2014
- Review by Chicago Tribune Retrieved 25 December 2014
- Review by boston.com Retrieved 25 December 2014
- Review by Rolling Stone Retrieved 25 December 2014
- Poniewozik, James (2005-03-20). "The Decency Police". Time. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- Eggerton, John (23 November 2009). "PTC Upset Over Adam Lambert AMA Performance". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved 23 November 2009.
- "Adam Lambert Could Cost ABC Television Up To $500,000". Rockstar Weekly. 23 November 2009. Retrieved 23 November 2009.
- Bauder, David. "ABC: Lambert's Performance Draws 1,500 Complaints". Associated Press.
- "ABC: Lambert's performance draws 1,500 complaints". Yahoo! Music. Associated Press. 23 November 2009. Retrieved 23 November 2009.
- "UPDATED: ABC's 'Good Morning America' Cancels Adam Lambert's Performance". Yahoo News. Yahoo.com. 24 November 2009. Retrieved 25 November 2009.
- "Adam Lambert To Perform On "Early Show"". CBS News (Cbsnews.com). 24 November 2009. Retrieved 24 November 2009.
- Kaufman, Gil (23 November 2009). "Adam Lambert Says AMA Kiss Was 'In The Moment'". MTV News. Retrieved 23 November 2009.
- "Adam Lambert News - Updates, Blog, Fan Comments & More | The Official Adam Lambert Site". Adamofficial.com. Retrieved 2010-02-01.
- Cady, Jennifer (December 10, 2009). "ABC Still Afraid of Adam Lambert, Pretapes View Performance". E! Online. Retrieved January 3, 2010.
- "Adam Lambert Sits Down With Oprah". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2010-02-01.
- "Adam Lambert's Rise to Fame". Oprah.com. 2010-01-19.
- "F.Y.E. on F.O.X.". AdamOfficial. 2009-12-22. Retrieved 2009-12-23.
- "Best and worst of Crucible 2010". BBC News. 2010-05-03.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | High quality MP3 downloads | 7digital United States". Us.7digital.com. 2009-10-27. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | MP3 downloads van hoge kwaliteit | 7digital België". Nl-be.7digital.com. 2009-10-31. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | Téléchargements MP3 de Haute Qualité | 7digital France". Fr.7digital.com. 2009-10-31. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | Téléchargements MP3 de Haute Qualité | 7digital Luxembourg". Lu.7digital.com. 2009-10-31. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | High quality MP3 downloads | 7digital Canada". Ca.7digital.com. 2009-10-31. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | MP3 downloads van hoge kwaliteit | 7digital Nederland". Nl.7digital.com. 2009-10-31. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | High quality MP3 downloads | 7digital Sverige". Se.7digital.com. 2009-11-02. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | Descargas de MP3 alta calidad | 7digital España". Es.7digital.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | Download di MP3 di alta qualità | 7digital Italia". It.7digital.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | High quality MP3 downloads | 7digital Suomi". Fi.7digital.com. 2009-11-09. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | High quality MP3 downloads | 7digital Norge". No.7digital.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | Downloads de MP3 de Alta Qualidade | 7digital Portugal". Pt.7digital.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert | High quality MP3 downloads | 7digital Australia". It.7digital.com.au. 2009-12-04. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment (2009) | Adam Lambert |". 2009-11-13. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "For Your Entertainment: Adam Lambert: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- : (2010-04-23). "For Your Entertainment (2010) | Adam Lambert | High quality MP3 downloads | 7digital Eire". Ie.7digital.com. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- [dead link]
- "Adam lambert for your entertainment was on 4music (UK)! | The Official Adam Lambert Site". Adamofficial.com. 2010-03-22. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "Idol track sales: Adam Lambert, Carrie Underwood, Daughtry". USA Today. 2010-08-18.
- "Adam Lambert Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Adam Lambert.
- "Charts.org.nz – Adam Lambert – For Your Entertainment". Top 40 Singles.
- "Adam Lambert Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Adam Lambert.
- "Australian-charts.com – Adam Lambert – For Your Entertainment". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Adam Lambert: For Your Entertainment" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Adam Lambert Album & Song Chart History" Japan Hot 100 for Adam Lambert.
- "EHR top 40". Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-05-22" UK Singles Chart.
- "Adam Lambert Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Adam Lambert.
- "レコード協会調べ 2009年12月16日～2010年12月14日「着うたフル(R)」 2010年有料音楽配信「年間チャート」（通称：レコ協チャート）" [Record Association Analysis: December 16, 2009—December 14, 2010 Full-length Cellphone Download 2010 paid digital sales "Yearly Chart" (Abbreviated: RIAJ Chart)]. RIAJ. December 20, 2010. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- "Charts Year End: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "http://www.aria.com.au/pages/httpwww.aria.com.auSINGLEaccreds2011.htm". Aria.com.au. 2011-12-31. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "Latest Gold / Platinum Singles". RadioScope. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- "Gold & Platinum Certifications March 2010". Canadian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 17 Jan 2012.