For a Little While
|"For A Little While"|
|Single by Tim McGraw|
|from the album Everywhere|
|A-side||"Please Remember Me"|
|Released||November 3, 1998|
|Tim McGraw singles chronology|
"For A Little While" is a song written by Steve Mandile, Jerry Vandiver and Phil Vassar, and performed by American country music artist Tim McGraw. It was released in November 1998 as the sixth and final single from his album Everywhere. The song peaked at number 2 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart but reached number-one on the Canadian RPM Country Tracks chart.
The song is about a man's wistful reminiscing, particularly one summer season that he spent with a woman who is no longer with him.
Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, saying that the "gentle rolling piano, sturdy fiddle, and out-in-front guitar work make the strong melody come alive, but McGraw's vocal is what really sells this song."  Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song a B grade, saying that compared to the other singles from this album, this one is the "most frothy and least substantial." He went on to say that it could be "the most historically significant of the singles, given that it’s the blueprint for countless Kenny Chesney hits that followed."
The song debuted at number 74 on the Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart dated November 7, 1998. It charted for twenty weeks on that chart, and peaked at number 2 on the chart dated February 6, 1999. It also peaked at number 37 on the Billboard Hot 100.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||37|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||40|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||28|
- Phil Vassar, who co-wrote the song, recorded a version of it for his 2006 album, Greatest Hits, Vol. 1.
- Billboard, November 14, 1998
- CountryUniverse.net Song review
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 7470." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. March 8, 1999. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Tim McGraw Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Tim McGraw.
- "Tim McGraw Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Tim McGraw.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1999". RPM. December 13, 1999. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
- "Best of 1999: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1999. Retrieved July 7, 2013.
by Diamond Rio
|RPM Country Tracks
March 1, 1999
"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"
by Mark Chesnutt