|Manufacturer||Ford Motor Company|
|Also called||Ford Ikon Hatch (Mexico)|
|Production||2010 - present|
|Assembly||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India (Ford India)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||5-door hatchback|
|Wheelbase||2,489 mm (98.0 in)|
|Length||3,795 mm (149.4 in)|
|Width||1,680 mm (66.1 in)|
|Height||1,427 mm (56.2 in)|
|Kerb weight||1,040–1,130 kg (2,293–2,491 lb)|
The Ford Figo, internal code name B562, is a subcompact hatchback manufactured by Ford India in Chennai, India. Based on the Mark V European Ford Fiesta hatchback, the Figo has been sold in developing countries since March 2010.
The Ford Figo was unveiled in Delhi in September 2009. It is based on the same small car platform used for the Ford Fiesta and resembles the mark 5 Fiesta but with revised front and rear treatments. It is smaller than the Fiesta Classic which Ford also sells in India. The name "Figo" is a colloquial Italian word meaning "cool".
It was launched to the Indian market in March 2010, and by July 2010 there were 25,000 sales bookings across all variants. A facelifted model of the Figo was launched on October 15, 2012. This model has a larger hexagonal grill and redesigned head and tail lamps. It was released in South Africa in January 2013.
The Ford Figo is available in both petrol and diesel versions, all with five speed manual transmissions and power steering as standard. Both engines meet the BS-IV (Bharat Stage - IV) emission norms.
The Figo diesel is equipped with the same 1.4L engine which is currently powering the Ford Ikon and Ford Fiesta and the Indian petrol version is equipped with a new 1.2L. The petrol variant gives a mileage of around 12.5 kmpl in the city while on the highway it offers around 15.5 kmpl. and the diesel returns a mileage of around 16 kmpl in the city while on the highway it delivers a mileage of 19 kmpl.
The Figo is available in a range of specifications including LXI, EXI, ZXI and Titanium. The Titanium adds alloy wheels, dual air bags and ABS.
The Figo underwent a facelift in October 2012. The facelift had around 100 changes including some major cosmetic changes including new headlamps, new steering column mounted audio controls, new tail lamps, alloy wheels, new front bumper and a new seat fabric design. However, the car remains unchanged mechanically and uses the same 1.2 L Duratec petrol and 1.4 L Duratorq diesel engine.
In February 2014 Ford added a Wifi option to all models of the Figo range as part of an audio upgrade package, a first-in-class option. The Ford Figo Concept for 2014 was showcased at the Auto Expo 2014, which has been incorporated into a Ford Time Machine, which gives auto enthusiasts an opportunity to 'go back in time' and take a 3D virtual reality tour of the Ford Pavilion.
The Mexican Ikon Hatch is available only with a 1.6L Duratec petrol engine producing 98 hp (73 kW; 98 hp) at 6500rpm and torque of 142 N·m (105 lb·ft) at 4000.
The Figo is available with a 1.4L petrol engine with a manual gearbox or a 1.6L with an automatic gearbox. It is sold in Trend and Ambiente models.
The South African petrol Figo is powered by a 1.4L producing 62 kW (84 PS; 83 bhp) at 6000rpm and torque of 127 N·m (13.0 kg·m) at 4000 and is available in Ambiente and Trend models. The 1.2L petrol is not available.
|Models||1.2 Duratec Petrol||1.4 Duratorq Diesel||1.4 Duratec Petrol||1.6 Duratec Petrol||1.6 Duratec Petrol|
|Market||India||India/South Africa||South Africa/Middle East||Mexico||Middle East|
|Type||1,196 cc (1.196 L; 73.0 cu in) 16V DOHC||1,399 cc (1.399 L; 85.4 cu in) 8V SOHC||1.4 L Duratec DOHC||1.6 L Duratec DOHC||1.6 L Duratec DOHC|
|Power||71 PS (52 kW; 70 hp)@6250||69 PS (51 kW; 68 hp)@4000||84 PS; 83 bhp (62 kW)@6000||98 hp (73 kW; 98 hp)@6500||142 N·m (105 lb·ft)@4000|
|Torque||102 N·m (10.4 kg·m)@4000||160 N·m (16 kg·m)@2000||127 N·m (13.0 kg·m)@4000||142 N·m (105 lb·ft)@4000||142 N·m (105 lb·ft)@4000|
|Overall Length||3,795 mm (149.4 in)|
|Overall Width||1,680 mm (66.1 in) (without ORVM)|
|Overall Height||1,427 mm (56.2 in)|
|Wheel Base||2,489 mm (98.0 in)|
|Ground Clearance||168 mm (6.6 in)|
|Fuel Tank Capacity (litres)||45|
|Turning radius||4.9 m|
|Boot Space (litres)||284|
The Ford Figo is manufactured at Ford's plant in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. The 100,000th Ford Figo produced for the Indian market was delivered 15 months after its launch. The 200,000th Figo was sold during August 2012, after 29 months of production, while the 300,000th Figo was made in first week of August 2013, after 41 months of production.
Braking and handling
The Ford Figo has ventilated discs at front and drum rear brakes. The top variant comes with an Anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD) which enhances the safety of the car by helping it come to a complete stop in emergency situations. The Figo has a turning radius of 4.9 meters and standard power steering.
During a crash, the Figo's engine automatically falls from the bonnet area to prevent the car from catching fire. Dual front airbags are available on a premium package.
The Figo has been awarded 20 Indian auto industry awards, more honours than any other car in 2010. The Ford Figo was voted the 2011 Indian Car of the Year by a panel of leading automotive magazine editors. It was also named runner-up in the 2011 South African Car of the Year Awards.
A series of Ford Figo print ads were created by JWT India, including a caricature of former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi in the driver's seat with three scantily clad women sitting gagged and bound in the trunk, a Paris Hilton caricature winking from the driver's seat while Kim Kardashian and two others are gagged in the boot, and a caricatured Michael Schumacher with Sebastian Vettel, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso lookalikes gagged in the back. All three featured the same tagline: "Leave your worries behind".
The print ads were not approved by Ford, but were used as speculative renderings to show off the agency's creative talents. JWT breached trust and used an approval from Ford to use other poster ads made for Ford as a tacit approval to enter the adverts into the GoaFest 2013 Advertising awards and adsoftheworld.com. Ivan Razl of adsoftheworld.com confirmed that the ads were removed according to the rules of the website as the letter was only a generic approval and the said ads were not approved, which was confirmed to him by JWT. After the publication of the ads, Ford responded by stating that the posters were contrary to the standards of professionalism and decency within Ford and its agency partners. JWT India's parent, WPP plc, apologized for the adverts.
After the incident, JWT India chief creative officer and managing partner Bobby Pawar and Blue Hive creative director Vijay Simha Vellanki resigned; and an entire creative team of around 10 from New Delhi were reported to have been laid off.
Ford Figo (2015)
A new future version of Ford Figo, based on the Brazilian Ford Ka concept, was unveiled in 2014 Indian Auto Expo. It is expected to commence sales in India in 2015. The car is expected to hit Indian roads mid 2015. Its expected to come with a 1.0 L globally acclaimed EcoBoost petrol and 1.5 L TDCi engine. Tests for the car have been started in India by Ford.
- Ketan Thakkar, ET Bureau (2013-07-24). "Ford's project B562 to make India a compact car global production base". The Economic Times India. Retrieved 2013-08-29.
- "Ford launches Figo at killer prices". DNA India. 2010-03-10. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Valdes, Peter (2009-09-23). "Ford Figo unveiled; new small car for India - Sep. 23, 2009". Money.cnn.com. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "MkV Fiesta-based 2010 Ford Figo revealed in India". Icars.sg. 2009-09-24. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Ford Figo reaches 25,000 sales booking milestone in close to 100 days | Ford Motor Company Newsroom". Media.ford.com. 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Ford Figo
- "Auto Expo 2014: Ford Figo gets in-built Wi-Fi". Autocar India. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Auto Expo 2014: Ford Time Machine takes you to Ford Pavilion at Delhi Auto Expo 2014". Motoroids India. 21 February 2014.
- "Zigwheels - Ford Celebrates 100,000 Figo Sales". Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "Ford Celebrates 200,000 Figo Sales". Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- 300,000th Ford Figo
- "Ford Figo is the Most Awarded Car in India in 2010". Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "Ford & Figo Win 20 Awards". Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "Ford Figo wins 2011 Indian Car of the Year Award". The Times Of India. 16 December 2010. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- "SA Car of the Year 2011: It's a tie!". Car magazine. 2011-03-09. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Anant Rangaswami. "How JWT scam ads got Ford India in a mess". Firstpost.com. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Laura Stampler (2013-03-21). "Silvio Berlusconi With A Trunk Full Of Tied-Up Women: Worst Ford Ad Ever?". Businessinsider.com. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Welsh, Jonathan (2013-03-23). "Ford Apologizes for Offensive 'Berlusconi' Figo Ads". Blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Philip, Siddharth (2013-03-25). "Ford Apologizes After Mock Ads of Berlusconi Tying Up Women". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Thirani Bagri, Neha (2013-04-01). "India's Ad Industry Shaken After Ford Figo Controversy". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Sharma, Amit (2 February 2014). "New 2015 Ford Figo/Ka unveiled at 2014 Indian Auto Expo". Business Standard. Archived from the original on 8 December 2014.
|Ford India, automobile timeline, 1990s–present|
|Small family car||Fiesta||Classic|
|Large family car||Mondeo|