Ford India Private Limited
|Founded||October 1995 (as Mahindra Ford India Limited)|
|Headquarters||Chengalpattu, Kanchipuram district, Tamil Nadu|
|Key people||Nigel Harris - President, Ford India|
|Parent||Ford Motor Company|
Ford India Private Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Ford Motor Company in India. Ford India Private Limited's headquarters are in Chengalpattu, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It currently is the sixth largest car maker in India after Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Tata, Mahindra and Chevrolet.
- 1 History
- 2 Corporate governance
- 3 Manufacturing facilities
- 4 Models
- 5 Sales and Service Network
- 6 Sales performance
- 7 Exports
- 8 Corporate Social Responsibility
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The modern Ford India Private Limited began production in 1996, although the roots trace back to 1907 when the Model A was launched. Its manufacturing facilities are in Maraimalai Nagar near Chennai. Ford India Private Limited began production in 1926, but was shut down in 1954 as the company was in loss. Production began again with the joint venture Mahindra Ford India Limited (MFIL) in October 1995, a 50-50 venture with Mahindra & Mahindra Limited. Ford Motor Company increased its interest to 72% in March 1998 and renamed the company Ford India Private Limited.
The management team of Ford India comprises Nigel Harris - President , Vinay Piparsania (Executive Director, Marketing, Sales and Customer Service Operation),  Kuljit Rana (Vice President, Finance & Whole time Director) Vairamani Pandiyan (Vice President, HR).
FIPL's main manufacturing plant located in Maraimalai Nagar, 45 km from Chennai has a capacity to produce 150,000 cars on a two-shift basis and 200,000 with three shifts. In 2010-11, the company's production crossed the 100,000 mark.
As its new hatchback Figo was launched in March 2010, Ford Motor Company has invested $500 million to double capacity of the plant to 200,000 vehicles annually and setting up a facility to make 250,000 engines annually. The engine plant opened for operations in January 2010.
To meet the growing domestic demand and with an eye on engine exports, the company has invested $72 million to raise engine production capacity to 330,000 units.
The company is rolling out the urban SUV Ford EcoSport in June 2013. It had announced a $142-million investment on this. With Ford EcoSport, the Chennai plant will ramp up to full capacity (200,000 units). Last year, production touched 127,000 units.
As part of its plan to launch 8 new vehicles by 2015, the car maker is pumping in an investment of $1 billion for a new state-of-the-art manufacturing plant at Sanand, Gujarat. The plant is coming up on 460 acre site. It will have an initial installed capacity to manufacture 2,70,000 engines and 2,40,000 vehicles a year. Coming up alongside the plant is the supplier park spread across 150 acres and the company has attracted 19 world-class supplier manufacturers to date. The plant is expected to commence production by 2014.
(As of January 2014)
- Ford Endeavour (Launched 2003)
- Ford Classic (Launched 2005)
- Ford Fiesta (Launched 2011)
- Ford Figo (Launched 2010)
- Ford Ecosport (Launched June 2013)
Sales and Service Network
In the year 2010, FIPL recorded sales of 83,887 vehicles against 29,488 vehicles sold during the year 2009 and registered a sales growth of 172%.
Ford India currently exports 40 percent of its engine production and 25 percent of its car production to 35 countries, some of them are, South Africa, Nepal, Mexico, Kenya, Bahrain, Angola, Bermuda, Ghana, Iraq, Liberia, Lebanon, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, UAE, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Ford India’s CSR activities are focused primarily in four key areas: road safety, education, healthcare, and environment.
Driving Skills for Life (DSFL)
A regional initiative to raise awareness about safe, economic and eco-friendly driving through a free-training program that mixes classroom learning with practical hands-on sessions. DSFL program was launched in India in August 2009. In partnership with its dealers, Ford India has also trained 4500 drivers since launch of Ford Motor Company's successful Driving Skills for Life (DSFL) training programme that educates new and older licensed drivers of all ages on safer, economical and eco-friendly driving practices.
Global week of Caring (GWC)
The Global Week of Caring is celebrated during the month of September across Ford Motor Company markets globally in the spirit of responsible corporate citizenship and to give back to the society.
Ford has also been named as the largest Voluntary Blood Donor in the Industrial Category in Tamil Nadu for 10 consecutive years (from 2000-2010) and has been the recipient of the Red Cross trophy.
Ford India, has committed to spend $250,000, under "Operation Goodwill" initiative in Chennai on developmental activities. In the first phase, Ford has partnered with three non-governmental organisations (AID India, The Society for Technology and Advancement for Rural Action (TARA) and Society for Poor People Development (SPDD) to invest $125,000. This will go towards improving education, access to safe drinking water, sanitation and vocational training for women in nearby villages.
- Ford Plant and Corporate Office
- Ford India Private Ltd, Ford Cars India, Ford Motors India, Ford Fiesta India, Ford in India
- "Ford drives into Sanand". Business Line. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "Vinay Piparsania Joins the Ford India Family". Ford India Blog. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- Ford looking to achieve full capacity; plans to expand soon
- Ford Figo roll out by March 2010
- Ford - Virtual Plant Tour
- Ford India to export small cars from mid-2010
- Ford India Engine Plant Rolls out 1,00,000th unit
- "Ford India increases engine capacity". Business Today. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Ford looking to achieve full capacity; plans to expand soon". Business Line. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Ford lays foundation for $1-b unit at Sanand". Business Line. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Ford India is changing the way its parent Ford Motor Company functions". Business Today. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Ford India strengthens presence in East with brand new dealership in Gangtok". Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- Ford Records Strong Sales Growth In 2010, Figo Caps The Year With Several Awards
- Ford India begins bulk export of cars from Chennai
- "Ford Motor Company Kickstarts “Operation Goodwill” in India". Ford Media. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "Ford India 2010 CSR Sustainability Report". INDIACSR. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- "Ford Motor Company starts 'Operation Goodwill' in India". The Economic Times. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- "Ford India's CSR Drive". Business Line. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
|Ford India, automobile timeline, 1990s–present|
|Small family car||Fiesta||Classic|
|Large family car||Mondeo|