Ford railway station
|Local authority||Arun, West Sussex|
|Number of platforms||2 (was 3)|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 8 June 1846|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Ford from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Ford railway station is a railway station in Ford, West Sussex, England. It is located on the West Coastway Line which runs between Brighton and Southampton. The station and the trains serving it are operated by Southern.
Ford serves a rural community with only a few houses and one pub nearby, HMP Ford is about one mile south of the station. Adjacent to the station is a large model railway shop.
Ford station is close to the junction from the West Coastway line to the Arun Valley Line and the short branch to Littlehampton. It is sometimes used as an interchange for those lines, however most passengers prefer to change at Barnham.
Ford Station has a ticket office which is open for part of the day. There are PERTIS 'Permit to Travel' passenger-operated ticket-issuing machines available at the entrances from the road to both platforms at those times when the ticket office is closed.
Ford was a 3 platform station but one platform was closed and is now abandoned and overgrown.
- Ticket office (1 Window)
- Waiting Rooms x2
- Vending Machine (Sells Tea & Coffee)
- Post Box
- Sheltered seating around the station
- Departure Boards (1 on both platforms)
- Subway (linking platforms)
- Car Park
The station is staffed Monday-Saturday 06:30-13:20 and Sunday 08:10-15:40. It has CCTV installed.
A typical off peak service is as follows:
- 2tph to London Victoria (stopping), calling at Arundel, Amberley (1tph only), Pulborough, Billingshurst, Christ's Hospital (1tph only), Horsham, Crawley, Three Bridges, Gatwick Airport, Redhill, Horley (1tph only), East Croydon and Clapham Junction
- 1tph to Brighton, calling at Angmering, Goring-by-Sea, Durrington-on-Sea, West Worthing, Worthing, Lancing, Shoreham-by-Sea, Southwick, Portslade and Hove.
- 2tph (1tph on Sundays) to Littlehampton
- 3tph (2tph on Sundays) to Bognor Regis, calling at Barnham.
- 1tph to Portsmouth & Southsea (all stations), calling at Barnham, Chichester, Fishbourne, Bosham, Nutbourne, Southbourne, Emsworth, Warblington, Havant, Bedhampton, Hilsea and Fratton.
- On Sundays, this service operates twice an hour and continues to Portsmouth Harbour.
- 1tph to Southampton Central, calling at Barnham, Chichester, Southbourne, Emsworth, Havant, Cosham, Portchester, Fareham and Swanwick
Accidents and incidents
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
West Coastway Line
West Coastway Line
Arun Valley Line
- http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/fod/details.html As of 12 February 2009
- Earnshaw, Alan (1991). Trains in Trouble: Vol. 7. Penryn: Atlantic Books. p. 33. ISBN 0-906899-50-8.
- Moody, G. T. (1979) . Southern Electric 1909-1979 (Fifth ed.). Shepperton: Ian Allan Ltd. p. 120. ISBN 0 7110 0924 4.