|Dallas County and the state of Arkansas|
|• Total||6.6 sq mi (17.1 km2)|
|• Land||6.6 sq mi (17.1 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||285 ft (87 m)|
|• Density||727.1/sq mi (280.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0049160|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.6 square miles (17 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,300 people, 1,737 households, and 1,186 families residing in the city. The population density was 727.8 people per square mile (281.2/km²). There were 2,024 housing units at an average density of 307 square miles (800 km2). The racial makeup of the city was 48.61% White, 49.66% Black or African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.75% from other races, and 0.38% from two or more races. 1.19% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,737 households out of which 32.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.4% were married couples living together, 17.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.7% were non-families. 28.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 16.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 90.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $23,297, and the median income for a family was $30,120. Males had a median income of $24,971 versus $15,553 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,118. About 16.2% of families and 22.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.2% of those under age 18 and 19.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Anderson W. Atkinson - U.S. Air Force general
- Jim Benton - Pro football star of 1940's
- Paul "Bear" Bryant - American College football coach, whom attended Fordyce High School
- James Hal Cone - Theologian
- Raylee Johnson - NFL Player, defensive back for the San Diego Chargers
- Larry Lacewell - Former college football coach and director of scouting for Dallas Cowboys
- Red Parker - American College football coach
- Ray E. Porter - World War II general who won the Purple Heart and the Legion of Merit
- John Thach - World War II naval aviator, later promoted to admiral
- Kevin Williams - NFL Pro-Bowl defensive tackle for the Minnesota Vikings
- W. Randolph "Randy" Woodson - Chancellor, North Carolina State University
- First Step, Inc.
- Fordyce School District
- ITW Shippers Dunnage bag plant
- Lyon Folder Company
- Millcreek of Arkansas
- Transitech, Inc.
- Walmart Stores
- Gentle Touch
- Benton Hardware
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.